2 of 3 laying hens just STOPPED!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lindabean, Sep 1, 2009.

1. lindabean

lindabean Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Texas Hill Country
    My flock is different ages. The 3, year old hens all started laying about 4 eggs a week as soon as I brought them home. There was little slow down when I moved them to their full size pen & house, or when I added a covered dog x-pen with little peeps. That all started in April. Now they all are together and the 3 were still cranking out about 4 eggs each till 2 weeks ago. First the Cochin stopped, then a week later the Minorca stopped. The only one laying now is the Amercuna. August has been exceptionally hot, with many days over 100, but the chick pen is mostly in the shade of a huge oak tree. The run is covered, so nothing can get in through the roof, and we buried the wire horse panels covered with 1 " chicken wire, about 6 inches then concreted it in. I see no evidence of digging or of snakes. Our place has had very few snakes on it over the 50 years or so we have had it. We back up to well over 1000 acres, and the smallest place around us is 50 acres, so we are Rural. I've seen more feathers in the pen the past few days, and I started them on laying crumbles (switching from pellets) and Oyster Shell about 2 weeks ago. Neither of the 2 hens that stopped laying act sick or have declining appetite and they have plenty of clean water. I also put water out in 12 inch flower pot saucers for them to stand in when the temps get over 95.
    These are the first hens I've had that I have collected eggs from, so am stumped by this sudden change in behavior. I'm going to try the Golf Ball idea, just in case I have a snake with a specific Brown & White egg preference. [​IMG] Although I only have 12 hens, I probably spend an hour in the morning with them, and about 30 minutes with them in the evening. The Amercuna usually lays in the late afternoon, & I get her egg about 5:30. The other 2 lay whenever they feel the urge.
    HELP!!![​IMG]
    Linda Mac

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

It was probably the heat. They eat less and therefor may not have enough butrition to make eggs for a while. They may also be preparing to molt...

3. lindabean

lindabean Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Texas Hill Country
    We have started having early morning temps in the 60's, and days are now only in mid 90's, so it has cooled off considerably here. Nothing much has changed in the chick pen, except I'm seeing a lot more feathers on the ground. If they are starting to molt, is there anything I need to do to help them through it faster? Maybe a higher protein food or some vitimins? Also, have read that adding ACV to water worms them. Is that true? Do I need to worm them with a formal wormer?
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by