1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 of my babies have been picked

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by R.M. Hens, May 11, 2011.

1. R.M. Hens

R.M. Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    I have 10 four week old RIR. They are doing great except 2 of them have little booboo's that are bloody. Is there anything I can put on the chicks to help heal and stop the others from picking?

2. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    If I were you, I'd get out my fingernail clippers and nip off just the very tip of the top beak on EVERY one of them. This leaves the beak unable to grab onto feathers, they slip through. Don't worry, the tip grows back, and it's not painful. Also, you'll have to keep the bloody chicks separate from the others, they'll peck blood even with clipped beaks. This method works well to help train them not to de-nude each other.[​IMG]

3. R.M. Hens

R.M. Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    Ok, I will do this when I get home this evening. Should I put any kind of ointment on the small wounds or just remove them from the others like you suggested?

I just had to do this with one of my older girls. Within a day the poor thing had a big bloody hole in her neck, so I removed her and let her heal on her own and within a week she's back in the flock like nothing happened. This is my first time having bitties though, so I am a "nervous nelly."

4. Papa Rooster

Papa Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2010
    you can also burn the tip off. not sure how but its done by big companys for speed. it probably hurts them then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by