2 of my chickens have ballon sized bellies! *PIC HEAVY*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenluv, Jul 17, 2010.

1. chickenluv

chickenluv Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Sterling IL
    A few days ago I found that 2 of my birds,(A golden Wyandotte, age 1yr, and a Barred Rock, aged 5yrs) had a quite enlarged abdomen/bottom/under the vent area. Its squishy, and feels like a balloon, and its so big, they have to waddle to get around. They also seem to have trouble going to the bathroom, and when they do, its quite runny. they are eating and drinking normally, (layer feed, a corn/oats/protein mix, oyster shell and a few garden treats)but they aren't near as active as usual, because they have to waddle around. After I was debating what to do for a day or so, the GW's belly just deflated all of the sudden. That morning I went out and her belly was almost normal size, only now its very messy, and has poo everywhere. [​IMG] But she seems to be feeling a bit better. The BR, on the other hand, is the same, if not worse. Her comb has turned a purplish shade, and is shrunken & droopy, and her belly/bottom is ginormous!!! [​IMG] Does anyone know what this is, and how I can help my sweet chickens?[​IMG]

Pics of Barred Rock...
    Comb:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Belly/Bottom
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Golden Wyandotte: [​IMG]:(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry this is so long [​IMG]:D

2. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe ascites? I had a red star that had it and I deflated her with a syringe and then squeezed out all the clear fluid. She was OK after that. Terri O

3. chickenluv

Mar 2, 2009
    Sterling IL
    I've heard of Ascites, but I'm still not quite sure what it is. Is it something they catch? Do they need a vitamin/supplement? Do you know what causes it? When you say deflated her with a syringe, do you just carefully stick the syringe in her little balloon and extract the fluid? Were would you get a syringe?

Wow, sorry, that is a LOT of questions [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend you type in Ascites in the search box and I'm sure you'll find your answers there. I've never dealt with it. Syringes can be purchased at a feed store.

5. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought I would have to suck it out but after I punctured the balloon it just ran out! You should look it up though as the OP says--then you wont have any surprises. Good luck! Terri O

6. chickenluv

Mar 2, 2009
    Sterling IL
    Okay I will look it up. Thanks everyone. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by