2 of my chickens turned into punks..

Gnawsey

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 3, 2007
I have a flock of 5 chickens that have been together since they were day olds. They are about 10 months old now. Yesterday 2 of my chickens (a welsummer and Andalusian) started attacking my bantam Cochin. I got her out before much damage was done. There was a little blood on her comb and neck. Every time I try to induce her back into the flock, these two girls RUN over to start attacking. Our little cochin is now living in our kitchen for the time being. (she seems to really like her new cat carrier home). With the cochin out of the coop, the other 4 girls seem to get along just fine.

Why would they just start attacking her after so many months, and what can I do about the situation? My kids really hate the idea of giving away any of our hens, but I think either the cochin needs to find a new home, or the two meanies need to go. Is there anyway these chickens can make peace again?

What are your guys thoughts?

Thanks,
Stacie

Ive read that when you remove a member of the flock, it automaticly starts at the bottom of the pecking order. Id try removing and seperating the two bullies, put the victim back in..observe carefully for a few days to see if she is somehow a target for the others, and if not, try reintroducing the bullies one at a time.. observing carefully of course. good luck!

Chickens just being chickens. In enclosed environments the stronger pick on the smaller and weaker. If you have recently started confining your birds due to the weather boredom has initiated this behavior. Once initiated it is very difficult to resolve. Removal of and gradual reintroduction of the bullies can solve, but given the size differential of your chickens, I am not optimistic.
hide.gif

Thanks guys for the advice. The bullies are locked up in the garage. The victim is back out in the coop with the other 2 girls. They don't seem to be interested at all in her, and are getting along peacefully. I guess I will try to reintroduce the bullies in a couple of days. One last question. Should I stagger the into of the bullies back into the coop?

Yes, integrate the aggressors one at a time. I would be inclined to introduce the least aggressive first. See how things shake out and then in a couple of days introduce the worst hen. Good luck.

I have 4 BO's and one of them turned into a bully, she's on my front porch now in a cage, (it's nice getting a fresh egg every day on the front porch!). I tried separating her once before, and she was good for a couple days, then she turned meaner, and there was blood involved. Saturday she is going to her new home, and my kids weren't upset at all, they don't like bullies!! So I guess in the spring we'll just have to get some more chicks, and a bigger coop!!

Back
Top Bottom