2 of my girls have bald bums! What can I do?

DianaMallory

Songster
8 Years
Jul 20, 2012
Lancaster Ohio
The other day I went on the behavior forum and ask why my Chickens started plucking each others bum feathers out and eating them. I was told the were lacking in protein. Now 2 of my girls have a completely bald bum! What should I do about this? They are 7 months old, they are being fed laying feed, and I feed them oatmeal mixed with sometimes fruit or vegies or yogurt. They have fresh spring water everyday. Because my well is tapped into a natural spring, not because I buy bottled water! And they lay almost everyday! The past 3 days I have gotten 11 eggs from 11 laying. Oh I feed them pulverized eggs shells mixed with their feed.

Anybody here?
hmm.png

The other day I went on the behavior forum and ask why my Chickens started plucking each others bum feathers out and eating them. I was told the were lacking in protein. Now 2 of my girls have a completely bald bum! What should I do about this? They are 7 months old, they are being fed laying feed, and I feed them oatmeal mixed with sometimes fruit or vegies or yogurt. They have fresh spring water everyday. Because my well is tapped into a natural spring, not because I buy bottled water! And they lay almost everyday! The past 3 days I have gotten 11 eggs from 11 laying. Oh I feed them pulverized eggs shells mixed with their feed.
It doesnt sound too serious, keep an eye on them and if they continue to peck at each other you should separate them for a little while.

You are doing everything else as you should.

Separating them is not an option! I have 5 9 week old separated from the big girls right now! Is there anything else I should be giving them, vitamins? I can't afford to feed them tuna every day.

Separating them is not an option! I have 5 9 week old separated from the big girls right now! Is there anything else I should be giving them, vitamins? I can't afford to feed them tuna every day.

I believe I posted in your other thread about this, not sure though. You could feed them their own eggs, scrambled or boiled. Lots of protein and they are producing their own extra protein.

One of mine lost all the feathers on her bum due to a very affectionate rooster. They eventually grew back (after giving away the roo)...maybe a month later. If you need cheap protein, I would feed them their own eggs like Turtle Power suggested. There are also pecking blocks: look up Purina's Flock Block. This will give them something do peck at that isn't a bum. Good luck!!

One of mine lost all the feathers on her bum due to a very affectionate rooster. They eventually grew back (after giving away the roo)...maybe a month later. If you need cheap protein, I would feed them their own eggs like Turtle Power suggested. There are also pecking blocks: look up Purina's Flock Block. This will give them something do peck at that isn't a bum. Good luck!!

I use the Flock Block in my coop too. I love the Oaty smell it has.

i dont have a roo, and I have never heard of Flock block. Is it like a salt lick you give cows only for chickens? But they are going to get some scrambled eggs with their oats in the morning! Thanks!

i dont have a roo, and I have never heard of Flock block. Is it like a salt lick you give cows only for chickens? But they are going to get some scrambled eggs with their oats in the morning! Thanks!

Farm/feed stores should have Flock Blocks. They have oats,oyster shell, and other nutrients mixed in and shaped into a block, like a salt block.

ok I GOOGLED it and it brought my back to BYC! LOL but I read about it. And that sounds like my next purchase I am going to try tractor supply tomorrow. All the feed stores will be closed tomorrow here. Thanks again! Hopefully problem solved!

Back
Top Bottom