2 of my hens ate Foxglove, what do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mommaford09, Feb 28, 2015.

1. mommaford09

mommaford09 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2014
    So 2 days ago, 2 of my hens were acting really strange. They were off balance and really sleepy. After much searching and racking my brain, I realize they got into my daughters plant for her butterfly garden and it was foxglove. So for 2 days they have been in my house sleeping, but not eating or drinking much. Is there something else I should be doing for them? Is there a way to get the poison out of their system. Thanks!

2. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    You can't get the poison out of their system after 2 days, there is a substance called (Digoxin immune Fab) . which is antibody. it is used for humans but I am not sure if it can be used for chickens. those products cost an arm and a leg anyway. just keep them in a warm place and give them plenty of fluids.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  3. mommaford09

mommaford09 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2014
    That's part of the problem they are not drinking anything at all. I have 2 different things of water in the cage and all they do is sleep on it or spill it everywhere. How can I force fluids into them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by