2 Opington chicks with what I believe is spraddle leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bronzie, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Bronzie

Bronzie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2014
    Hi guys,

Brand new at the chicken game and site so please excuse my ignorance! :)

We're based in New Zealand and had a hatch over the weekend (3 days ago now). I think due to the hustle and bustle in the incubator we ended up with 2 chicks with spraddle leg (both legs slightly forward and apart). We've read every thread and seen every youtube clip we could find on the subject...their legs are taped and they're shuffling along happily eating and drinking BUT they just don't seem to be pushing up on their feet to try and walk. They're just shuffling along on their hocks. Is there anything we can do it encourage them to "get up" or are we on to a no win situation? Some sites say it can take up to a week others say it should be fixed in a couple of days...really really don't want to cull these cute little fluff balls unless absolutely necessary. Has anyone come across this....

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  3. Bronzie

Mar 5, 2014
    Thanks!

I've attached a photo. Can anyone confirm if it is spraddle? Any suggestions please....

As you can see they are very relaxed when

being handled, would be such a shame to loose these guys, they've got great personalities.

[​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. Bronzie

Mar 5, 2014
    Thanks guys!

Stupid question I'm sure but where do we get vitamins for chickens? I take it they're not the same as human ones...? The vet or can you get them from pet stores? - Can't say I've had to look for them before.

Re the toes. I did tape them in the beginning, we massage their feet every day, they're soft and flexible and if you stand them up and spread their toes out they stay there, just seem to relax back when they sit down again.

Is it normal for them to be sitting on the outside of their hocks? If their legs strengthen will this come right?

You guys are amazing....thanks for your support. keeps us trying :)

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Their legs strengthen pretty fast when you hobble them correctly. My only splay legged chick was walking normally in 4-5 days. Tractor supply sells a Rooster Booster poultry vitamin/probiotic combo that I like, SaveAChick vitamin packets, and online Avian Super Pack is very good at this link:
    http://www.jefferspet.com/avian-super-pack/p/AB-P1/

7. Bronzie

Mar 5, 2014
    In the picture their legs are not taped up, so it's definitely working as far as bringing their legs closer but they're just not "standing up". I'm going to hunt down some vitamins, brace up their feet and keep doing the cup treatment. Is there anything else we should or could do? They're pretty tired after their 'session' but still willing to try for a foot rub! :)

Should I be trying to bend their ankles? They seem to be sitting on straight legs. I wondered if I should spread their feet out properly on the ground, hold my fingers on them and encourage them to stand up? I don't want to hurt them....would this help do you think? Non of the literature I've read mentions this but I'll give anything a go right now

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You could do some range of motion exercises to their legs and feet, just be gentle. Make sure they have a non-slip surface such as paper towels or rubberized shelf liner to get their footing. It's hard for them to balance at first when you hobble them, and their toes may need taping. Chick vitamins are available at the feed stores, and fo today you can always dissolve a B complex tablet into their water for just time till you get vitamins.

9. Bronzie

Mar 5, 2014
    Eggcessive - I contacted a company selling poultry and small animal health tonics, they're questioning whether vit B is the right thing to give??? They're saying I should give calcium? - have I perhaps gone to the wrong person :) ?

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Giving extra calcium to chicks is bad for them. That is why it is bad to feed layer feed to them because it has 3 times the calcium they need. There feed contains all they need. For leg and foot problems, sometimes there is a vitamin deficiency of the B vitamins that comes from the mother hen. B1 and B2 are very important. Chick or poultry vitamins are available at any feed store.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by