1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 or 3? How many pekins should I keep?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by marybowman, Apr 10, 2016.

1. marybowman

marybowman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2016
    My MIL bought my kids 10 Pekin ducklings for their birthdays [​IMG] We have had them for 2 weeks and now that the girls are starting to honk I feel comfortable getting rid of some (I didn't want to jump into it then end up with just boys)! I just want 2-3 females for pets and eggs. I am leaning toward just 2 but thought I would ask for some input on deciding for sure. They will be in our backyard. No other poultry. We had originally thought we would get a couple ducks and a couple hens but now I'm thinking we should just stick to the ducks. Could also add another duck in the future of a different, smaller more ideal egg laying breed. Anyway...opinions and things to consider please?!!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I'd lean towards 3, only because if something happens to one, you'll still have two and won't have to scramble to find a friend for the remaining one.

3. TimCline

TimCline Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2016
    Inez, ky
    I would keep 3. Just in case something happens to one of them. They are very social and would be depressed by themselves.

4. TimCline

TimCline Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2016
    Inez, ky
    You beat me to it lol

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Lol! Great minds think alike :p

6. marybowman