2 out of 3 hens killed!

Omelette

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 29, 2007
Around mid-day today, when I went out to visit my free-range hens, only 1 came running. Very unusual. Upon further investigation we found the bodies of the 2 missing birds. One had it's head decapitated, and the other had its neck broken and was partially buried. There were feathers everywhere.

Does anyone have an idea of what predator could have done this, and how to prevent this in the future?

Thank you!

More information:
They were found in the fenced-in area where the cattle live. The fence is almost 5 feet high. I guess a small dog could get in through the page wire (see pic). But there are not any dogs close-by.
I will post pics in a minute of the page wire fence and the dead chickens. We are in the country, so it could be foxes, wolves etc.

WARNING - Graphic Images Below

Thanks Daycare Mom.
Oblio13 - I didn't see any wolves. Foxes are more likely around here.

This pic shows the page wire fence with feathers where there was a struggle.
329676325.jpg

This bird was decapitated and left like this.
329677122.jpg

This one had her neck broken and was covered with leaves and twigs.
329677129.jpg

I think it's a domestecated animal like a dog because the preditor didn't eat the chickens. Wild animals use the energy needed to attack so they can eat so they surrive. This preditor probably wasn't hungry it was just curious and it's instincts kicked in. It probably grabbed one by the neck and shook it (typical dog thing to do even when just playing tug of war.) The other you said was partially burried which is another typical dog thing to do.

It's still really sad and gross though. I'm sorry this happened to your birds. It's seems so random that it probably wasn't preventable. Be sure to give the surviving bird lots of love not only to stave off trama but because she sure must have been terrified. If she ever sees that type of preditor again she'll probably freak out which may help give youan idea who or what did it.

My first flock were all killed by a fox or dog and to be honest, I cried really hard. I was so miserable over the whole things. Finding tons of feathers is just aweful. Now I'm over protective which isn't really ideal but how can anyone not be after finding such a scene like that.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom