2 out of 4 chicks dead during shipment

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mercedes28, Aug 26, 2013.

1. mercedes28

mercedes28 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    I ordered four Jersey Giants from MPC. They came one state away but took two nights in travel time. Upon receiving them the workers brought them out to me on a fork lift truck. The box was 14"14". I stood there stupefied. Then the other worker took the box and turned it on it's side to "scan" it. I immediately opened the box in front of her and found one severely disabled (looked like a broken neck) and the other dead. I was beside myself. They apparently had endured much trauma.
    I phoned MPC to report this and received "we just do not understand". Well I am not new to chickens. I have several Orpingtons for
    the past five years and I know trauma when I see it. No refund, no nothing.
    Recently read they are brokers to Meyer's Hatchery. There was no support padding (stuffing) inside the box to prevent the little
    girls from being tossed around like golf balls! Just thought you gals would like to be aware of such.

Mercedes

2. SeanBlack

SeanBlack Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    Galway,Ireland
    Thats Horrible the should at least give you a refund if not more chicks in a box with padding [​IMG]

3. mercedes28

mercedes28 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    Thank you. I thought about replacement chicks but do not want to encounter such again. Searching a local hatchery.

4. KelsiNS

KelsiNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    Oh wow! Mpc refunded me for extra chicks that died that i hadnt even ordered! They have a refund policy on their sitr i would copy and paste into an email-ANY death within 48 hours should be refunded.

5. SeanBlack

SeanBlack Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    Galway,Ireland
    And hopefully you'll find what your looking for [​IMG]

6. lcahill

lcahill Chillin' With My Peeps

I ordered from them also. 15 chicks: 3 Silver Laced Polish, 6 Buff Silkies, 3 Welsummers, and 3 Light Brahmas. A total of 8 died and I was very unhappy with the padding/bedding in the box. They elected to re-ship the ones that I lost (3 silkies, all 3 polish, 1 welsummer, 1 brahma) but it was 5 weeks between shipments. So now I will have 5 week old and day olds to care for this week. Im not real pleased with it but they do have a good reputation. I will probably buy from Cackle hatchery next time and pick up, Im only about 2.5 hours from them.

7. mercedes28

mercedes28 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    Thank you all for your replies. Let me preface by saying that the packing/padding...there was none!!!!
    These poor girls bounced around inside the box like ping pong balls! The more I read the more I am convinced that MPC does NOT have a good reputation. Perhaps at one time they did. MPC blamed it on the postal service. Knowing that he postal service's
    handling is rough....then all the more that MPC should ensure the safety of the chicks through means of sufficient padding/individual padded squares. I can not express my disappointment.
    Update: just received an email for a refund.

8. chickieluver26

chickieluver26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    San Antonio Texas
    Sorry for your loss I lost 3 out of six silkies from mpc but I'm guessing its because their skulls don't close all the way and they prob got banged around and got hit on the head same with the polish maybe the same happened to you good luck with your chickies!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by