2 outa 6 roos!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Carpe DiHen, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Bad luck! [​IMG] Out of my six chickens sexed to be pullets, two turned into roos! My Easter Egger...now no colored eggs and my Speckled Sussex, my favorite chick.

So, I found a home for my soon to be gorgeous SS roo. He goes to a lady with 12 hens who just retired and wants to start breeding her flock. Lucky roo.

I'm keeping the EE roo, he has a bum foot and is all white. Roos should be colorful and I think it would be hard to find a home for him with his green club foot and no color [​IMG]

So, I went off to the the feed store now that I have a free space in the coop. I got another EE cause I really want colored eggs. Wish me luck getting a pullet this time (and some pretty eggs)! [​IMG]

Meet Surrey!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Good on you for keeping your challenged little boy and getting him a girlfriend as well!

3. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    chicks dont thrive as well when raised alone, i would atleast get her 1 other friend, when you realease them into the flock they will be outcast, and it would be nice for her to have a friend

4. Carpe DiHen

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Quote:You know, I just might do that... I almost did, but my coop is rated for 4-6 chickens and this chick makes 6. BUT, now I am seeing saddle feathers on my Golden Laced Polish and would have to re-home another roo!! I'd be easy to find a pet home for the Polish, so I'm left with the "Lame Ducky" again. [​IMG]

Here's the Polish:
    [​IMG]
    I can't find many pictures on the breed but those saddle feather look long... Her face shows no red at all...[​IMG]

I think I'll go back to the feed store tomorrow.. [​IMG]

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I'm not an expert about sexing polish, but her "top hat" looks very female to me. I do see those LONG saddle feathers though.... AND what look like very pointed hackle feathers. Maybe a strangely feathered male...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  6. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    I did the exact same thing when my "Ameraucana" turned out to be a leghorn and the two EE's I got to get colored eggs turned into roo's. I had the one EE chick for about four days before deciding that the pitiful peeping and staring at herself in the mirror all day was too sad. Now she has a little olive egger for company, and once angain I'm expanding on the coop.

7. Carpe DiHen

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Quote:I agree...so I gave her a friend! Also, since my last post, my Polish has been voted a roo too (by some Polish breeders). That's 3/6 of my sexed chickens that ended up roos!! I will wait until I am positive on the Polish, and then I will have to either rehome my white EE or the Polish. [​IMG]

Untill then...meet Sundae a little butterscotch ball EE. Wish me luck on the gender of my latest two:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by