2 pair of geese - will gander fight?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by GermanChick, Jan 30, 2014.

1. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    We will start with geese this year. I really want to get the American Buff and would order it from Metzer Farms. The only option is straight run or pairs. I would have really preferred to get a trio.
    So now I am debating if I should get 2 pairs or 5 straight run.
    If I order 2 pairs will the gander fight or will they just settle in with each of them having a girl?
    How easy are they to sex if I get straight run? I would probably keep a trio and give the others away or process them. But of course there is always the risk that I will end up with 4 or 5 males…….

Thanks,

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In my experience given enough room after establishing who is dominant several pairs of geese can get along quite well. Space availability and temperament of the individuals involved are important factors.

3. GermanChick

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    They will be our weeder in the orchard, it is plenty of fenced in pasture for them. Space shouldn't be a issue and from what I was reading they do have a calm disposition……. hopefully.

I'd rather get them sexed then the straight run.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Straight run is always a gamble. Think of the potential for problems if out of 5 straight run goslings you got 4 ganders and 1 goose.

5. GermanChick

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    …. and with my luck exactly that will happen!!!!!!!!!

I guess I keep looking if I can get a trio somewhere or have to get 1 or 2 pairs.

6. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi GermanChick. Why do you particularly want to get a trio? Geese are very happy in pairs. In fact, I´ve found mine are much better parents in pairs. I have a fair bit of space here and my ganders don´t really fight, they already have their goose, so it´s only little squabbles over territory maybe, or misunderstandings that soon get sorted..... maybe if you don´t have a lot of space, or even as it´s your first geese, why not just get a pair, and maybe next year you´ll know more about what you want.

1 person likes this.
  7. GermanChick

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    Thanks everybody.
    I ordered 2 pair of American Buff at Metzers. They only have pairs or straight run. First I thought just ordering a pair like suggested but then I would be afraid if one would die on the way here or the first few weeks I would end up with a just one. So I figured to be safe just order 2 pairs….. Hopefully there won't be any loss but if so then at least I have "backup".
    We do have lots of space. They will be weeding/mowing our orchard. So lots and lots of space.
    Very excited, still have to wait until end of April, that was the earliest availability.

8. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Exciting! Enjoy!

9. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Have fun with your goslings, you´ll love them. And don´t forget to give a little Brewers Yeast or niacin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by