2 peeps have died, another 2 look like they are going to. HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dmdhart, May 25, 2010.

1. dmdhart

dmdhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    Last night I had 7 peeps hatch (in the incubator) I was SO excited. However, 2 of them after hatching, never got up, they just laid there and today they finally died. 2 of the others seemed ok, I moved them into the brooder, but they aren't doing very well. 3 of the other peeps seem great. What would cause this? They haven't started drinking yet, but should I give them some water with vitamins and electrolytes or poly-vi-sol? This is the first time I've hatched out eggs, and I'm broken hearted.

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG] I always dip their beaks in the water after takening them out of the incubator

3. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    It could be that your humidity was too low during the hatch and not enough air sac developed. They may have inhaled some fluid while hatching due to this.

4. dmdhart

dmdhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    I had the humidity pretty high. Could that have caused it? I'm thinking though, that perhaps it was caused by an egg that exploded about a week ago, while turning it. It was only partially developed. Could the bacteria that was released have caused this?

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

6. NancyinAlaska

NancyinAlaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Willow Alaska
    I always have vitamins, electrolytes and Polyvisol in water as soon as I take them out of the incubator and I put their beaks in si they know where and what it is. Polyvisol fixes alot of things!

7. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Quote:what a great page!

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:what a great page!

I think so, too! There are alot of excellent resources available to us online.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by