2 Pipped at wrong end

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BLaBauve, May 19, 2010.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    This is my second hatch. My first hatch went well, and I used cartons. This time around I didn't use cartons. It felt so unnatural to lay them on their sides after spending 18 days upright. Anyways, I am almost to day 20 and I have 2 pips - both of which are at the wrong end. What causes this? I know there is a good chance they will make it - I just want someone else to tell me that. [​IMG]

Thanks

2. eac04

eac04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    If they are on their sides there is a chance they will still make it out... crossing my fingers for ya. Remember that if it's NOT MEANT TO BE, it just isn't. I've learned that the hard way.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    There is a good chance they will make it! [​IMG]

Sometimes it happens if they rest with the wrong end up during incubation. During my first hatch, I wrote the date on each egg but on one I wrote it on the wrong end. I told myself it didn't matter, I just had to remember which way to put it in the incubator each time. But I kept forgetting and about half the time it went in upside down. And that one pipped & hatched out of the wrong end.

I did have to help it out in the end, but it was just fine.

Good luck. They'll probably be just fine.

4. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    BlaBauve~ I started incubating the same day as you I think and I have nothing going on yet. Should something be happening? It's day 19. Thanks

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    mags--I wouldn't worry that nothing is happening on day 19. Every hatch has its own timetable. Depending on temps and other factors, they can be a day late or a day early or even a little more. I wouldn't worry yet! [​IMG]

6. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Mags, i always have things start early for some reason. Keep checking though, you never know when the action will start! I'm hopeful to have a chick out tomorrow, day 20. Keep me posted on your hatch!!

7. mags2009

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Hi everyone, I think my humidity has been low all three weeks. It hovered around 35-40 %, and now is at 65% for hatch. Hope this is ok. Otherwise, temps were great. I did lose 5 out of 8 Welsummer eggs. They were rotten and weeping at different times, but I have shipped eggs.

8. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I kept my humidity really low during my last hatch, and it went well. I currently have mine around 65% for the hatching days. During this hatch my humidity was only 20-30% for the first 18 days. I guess it's a dry hatch.

9. mags2009

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    how many are pipping now? Do the eggs move? I swear they have moved since we have gone into lockdown!

10. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Still only 2 pips. I haven't seen mine move, but i know they can. Did u ever candle?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by