2 pips, 1 egg? Chick Stuck? Chick confused?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Griffin Nest, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    I have an egg that pipped early on Friday and is moving around and chirping constantly. It made another pip in a totally different spot this morning. I've hatched eggs before and I know that they work from the pip they made, not make new holes. What's up with this? Is it stuck? Is it confused?

2. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

After the first pip, the chick turns in the egg & pips more, and starts to circle the egg (zipping). He should go on around the shell and get out. You may want to keep an eye on him just in case he does not zip back to the first pip.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  3. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    this one is hatching sort of strange, because the first pip is near the big end which is normal, but the second one is ON the big end.

4. ChickyChickyBaby

I have had a few pip the small end lately [​IMG]

I would say keep an eye on it a bit. If you don't see any more progress in a couple of hours, if the peeping does not slow down or sound distressed, maybe remove a little of the shell on the top for it.

5. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    its been pipped for a while, and it hasnt peeped much. maybe once or twice

6. ChickyChickyBaby

Laying on side or hatching in an egg carton?

Any others hatched out besides him?

I am impatient. I would carefully take the egg out, keep it warm in my hand and with my fingernail pick some of the shell off. Only thing is, that can cause the membrane to dry out and shrink wrap around the chick. Wrap it in a warm damp papertowel to slow drying out. And put it back in the bator for a bit.

Probably no rush really - it can take up to a day after the first pip for the egg to hatch.....after pipping internally, the chick has to absorb the yolk etc, then break thru the shell. Even if the shell is pipped, sometimes everything is not absorbed.

I cannot tell you to peck at the shell......or not to.

I have to go take off trash & get me a milkshake [​IMG] Be back soon [​IMG] Good luck with the egg!

7. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    no other chicks have hatched, and im worried because its been a full day
    they are hatching on their side naturally, but they used to be upright when they were being turned

8. ChickyChickyBaby

I would pick away some of the shell around the pips, you should see a white membrane. Under that one is the transparent one covering the chick. If you only see the transparent one, and not the white one, then that is OK.

Pick away some shell, maybe even most of the top, and look to see if you can see its beak. if you can, CAREFULLY pull the white membrane open a little more. It is stuck to the other membrane down below the air cell so don't pull too much too far.

If you can only see the transparent one after removing some shell, gently use your finger to rub it away from the chick's beak where it is pipped open. Be careful not to tear blood vessels. If you do not see blood vessels this is good.... they are absorbed.

If you see any blood at all, stop immediately and put it in damp towel and back in incubator for an hour.

Wrap it back in a warm damp paper towel and put back in incubator. In another 30 mins to hour, go back and pick a little more shell and membrane away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by