2 problems with 2 chickebs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LynnPG, Dec 10, 2016.

1. LynnPG

LynnPG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2016
    Upper Mount Bethel, PA
    1st problem
    Easter Rooster we rescued and he didn't gave his tail feathers. It looks like they are growing in, but there is blood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2nd Problem
    Lavender Orpington eye problem
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Easter Rooster:
    Looks like he is motling. The blood is most likely from broken blood feathers. Some people pull out the broken feather if it seems to be a problem. Since he is bloody, at least try to clean up some of the blood or cover exposed areas with some Blu-Kote to hide blood from any other chickens he is quarantined with.
    http://www.keepingchickensnewsletter.com/site/pin-feathers-blood-feathers-chicken-first-aid

Lavender Orpington eye problem:
    It looks like she may have an infection in the eye. One of the most common causes of eye infection is respiratory disease. There are several, so usually it is hard to determine which one. Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis and Infectious Coryza, IMHO are the 3 most common respiratory illnesses seen. Each one is contagious and can be spread to other birds either through direct contact, shared feeders/waterers, clothes, etc.

Flush the eye with saline, remove any pus/discharge that you see and apply some Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment. You may need to do this several times a day to keep the pus/discharge cleared. Watch for any additional symptoms like coughing, sneezing, wheezing, mucous from the nostrils, etc. If symptoms don't clear up or she gets worse, then antibiotic treatment may be necessary. Antibiotics will only treat any secondary infection and will not cure respiratory illness. Keep in mind most respiratory illness make sick and exposed birds carriers of the disease, regardless is they ever show symptoms.

I do hope you have them both quarantined away from any chickens that you may already have. A quarantine period allows you to access the health of any new birds before adding them to your flock. Some illnesses are highly contagious so you don't want to pass it along to your other chickens. Check them both for any signs of lice/mites and practice bio-security when going between flocks.

Poultry Diseases:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Quarantine and Bio-Security:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2016/08/biosecurity-for-backyard-chickens.html
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/quarantine-of-backyard-chickens-why-and.html

3. LynnPG

Jul 7, 2016
    Upper Mount Bethel, PA
    Thank you,

She hasn't done any coughing as of yet, but will keep my eye out for it.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The one is feather pecking........The other look up Infectious Coryza............

Cheers!

5. LynnPG

Jul 7, 2016
    Upper Mount Bethel, PA
    She has been upset that she is away from the rest of the flock and just keeps making disgruntle sounds, and is just sitting in her cage. Keeps watching us with her one eye. She wont let me clean it, and lets me know she doesn't like it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yeah......It hurts........

Cheers!

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sure she is unhappy, but for her sake and the health of the flock, keeping her separated at best.

You may try swaddling her in a towel to help keep her still while you clean the eye. It does hurt, but if it isn't treated it will probably get much worse.

Let us know how she's doing.

8. LynnPG

Jul 7, 2016
    Upper Mount Bethel, PA
    We have a older chicken sneezing and coaching. Looks like I have to treat the whole flock with antibiotics.

All my other chickens eyes are clear except for the one I had posted here. I might have missed something. The older hens aren't as friendl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by