2 Pygmy Goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Pine Roost, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Pine Roost

Pine Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2012
    South Carolina
    I am getting 2 doe pygmy goats and have a few questions. I already have my pen build...15'x30'....but need to build a shelter for them. What size should I make it? My fence is 4' high and secured all around. Do you think I will have any problems with them trying to escape? I plan to let them out each day....but the area that they have in their pen should be fine for the majority of the day, right?

2. farmchick897

farmchick897 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    I would think a large dog house with lots of straw. I've never had my Pygmies jump a fence, they look for small holes under it. I think the pen sounds like a fine size. Good luck!

3. Pine Roost

Aug 16, 2012
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the reply. I have a medium size dog crate that I think I'm going to use until I build something permanent.

4. WallabyOfChaos

WallabyOfChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Texas Panhandle
    My Coop
    What ever you build, be sure that it has good ventilation. A run-in style shed with walls on the north side, and a wall on the east or west side (whichever one the prevailing winds blow from in your area), should be adequate. Mostly, they just need a place to stay dry and out of the wind. Be sure that the roof of your shed is tall enough that you can get in there, and make sure that at some point during the day sunlight can touch the floor all the way to the back wall - this will help to kill bacteria and keep your goats healthy.

Here is a link to a Goat Guide (it's printable): http://www.admani.com/Goat/Goat Guide 2011.pdf
    It has lots of good, basic information for new goat owners. Have fun!

5. Pine Roost

Aug 16, 2012
    South Carolina
    thanks for the advise. I'm thinking a 4x4 shelter with 3 walls and a roof.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by