2 Quail with eggbinding???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WolfGirlMagic, May 25, 2019.

1. WolfGirlMagic

WolfGirlMagic Songster

Nov 9, 2017
    Hello,
    I have 2 older quail at least over a year.
    1)I was away from home and my mother was checking the birds over. They had not laid eggs for several days, but one had a palpable egg. She didn't think much of it until several days went by with no eggs laid. So she checked the bird (we have them banded and in this case it is my yellow band aka ivy) and ivy still had the egg & her vent was now prolapsing anytime she would fight to get away.
    Well it has been nearly 2 weeks she no longer prolapses, but every night I can feel an egg! I would think if it was egg binding she would act off or have died by now. We have found eggs in the coop, but I do not think she has laid the egg yet.
    2) my orange band Harley has lost weight, and she sits fluffed up but eating drinking and singing. She still seems comfortable for the most part. I can feel an egg in her, but the abdomen has a more palpable "mass" surrounding it. The mass is 3 X's the size of a normal egg.
    I noticed this today when I got back. Is this internal laying? Is there a possibility of multiple eggs? Could it be an infection? A tumor?
    ( I know you guys can't give me definitive answers, but we have no exotic vet within 500 miles.)

My big question is how should I try to preceed with these two?
    I want to TRY to help them.
    I successfully treated many birds "impossible to save without a vet" in the past.
    Vasaline? Epsom salt baths? Penacillin injection for harley as a backup for infection? Attempt for manual removal?
    I would love your thoughts!

2. WolfGirlMagic

WolfGirlMagic Songster

Nov 9, 2017
    Someone laid this egg last night ...
    It is soft shelled.
    Perhaps Harley?

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: