2 questions (1.lights and 2.snow)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueheaven, Jan 8, 2010.

1. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    hi from indiana.
    we have snow...lots of it.
    1. i put a heat lamp in their coop - now the girls that quit laying b/c of daylight hours are now laying. however, i am getting eggs at different times of the day/night now.

2. my girls used to go in the snow, now they will not leave the coop. i put treats out in the snow and got them out of the coop. my ee and campine went right back in. the others are outside playing now. before, they would not go into the coop until it was dusk.

i only had water (with a heater) outside, but i am affraid they will not go outside to drink - thus i moved it back.

2. They Call Me Pete

They Call Me Pete Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    CT
    I have a light in my coop that comes on about 4am then goes off at 7am when light. Then they go to roost on their own and aren't caught in the dark. I'll change to timer so they have the 12-14 hours of light they need to lay. Is your light/heat lamp on 24/7 ?? If so probably would explain egg laying at night

You won't catch mine out in the snow much either. From time to time they come out to eat in the outside feeder but I put one inside because it's been really,really cold/windy. I think they prefer warm weather like my wife does [​IMG]

3. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    it is a heat lamp. i had it on a timer, but it has been so cold here, that i am leaving it on all night and it is only off 5 hours during the day.

4. They Call Me Pete

They Call Me Pete Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    CT
    I've got cold hardy breeds because it does get cold here. Right now it's 22 out and this weekend over night lows around 8 plus the wind. I'll have the closed in until wind stops. They just huddle closer when it gets colder out but I think my water heater is also helping some on top of a deeper litter. Are they acclimated to the cold ? If so I'd just have the light on early in the morning. Chickens are tougher than most people think. Early American's never heated their coops

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by