2 questions..help!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JeninMN, Jul 15, 2008.

1. JeninMN

JeninMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    HI everyone!

I have 2 questions.

1. We have 29 buff orps..we thought we were getting 2 roos and we have ended up with 5...they just turned 14 weeks old this past Sunday. Is 5 roos going to be too much for 24 hens? Will they start fighting? As of now everyone gets along just awesome..they are so nice and tame...

2. Whether I like it or not, and I know some may disagree with this so if you do please don't read the following....we got into this for egg layers...I orginally thought they would lay all their lives...not the case obviously...so...with that being said...I have one little hen in paticular that I need to mark in some way so that when the day eventually comes they don't take her by mistake...she is the one that my hubby said I could keep until the day she goes naturally...I tried to put a band on her leg the other day and she did NOT like that at all...is there other ways of marking them for identifcation? Ways that won't get her pecked at by the others? Any ideas are much appreciated!!

Thanks, Jen

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    There are wing clips that you can use for ID. Other than that, just a legband is all I know. Probably you'll get to know which one she is my site...they get to be like kids.

3. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    If you are planning on hatching eggs then 5 roos is fine for 24 hens. That is a very good ratio otherwise some eggs wont be fertile and it would be a hit or miss on which are and arnt. It is a waste to incubate eggs when you know some might not even be fertile. As far as marking your hen, a pull tie that is lose so that as her leg grows the last bit it wont hurt is the best way. She will act bothered by it for a while but it wont hurt her. Also if you just handle her a lot she will learn to come to you and be very friendly. Dont assume since she is small now that she will stay that way. She might end up as big as the others in the future. Good luck and it is better to process then waste. [​IMG] Jenn

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    We have a red zip tie on my fav. chicken, a dominique. It can move around her leg easily and we clipped the end off so nothing is hanging. She has worn it since last fall.

5. JeninMN

JeninMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Do the others peck at it??? I wasn't sure if they would all gang up on her...they are all so nice to eachother now but when I saw her not liking it I figured the others would notice it too and then start using her little leg for a pecking post!! I just felt so bad when I saw her not liking that band that I took it right off...

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Make sure not to use a RED zip tie...that, they will peck at. A plain colored one they may peck at a bit until they know it's not food or something stuck on her foot. I use them, they work great. Just keep an eye while they're growing to make sure they don't get too tight.

7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Mine wears a red zip tie and they do not peck her. Not at all. They may have checked it out when she first got it but they do not bother it at all. Use any color you want to but do not take it off. They object to anything new just let it be and they will get used to if very quickly.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  8. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Dab a little "Peck No More" on her somewhere....it will temporarily stain feathers and actually last a long time. Will not harm as it is a treatment for bloodied cuts or pecks, tastes terrible, and repels other chickens from pecking.

Anne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by