2 questions on eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrandmrschicken, Nov 26, 2008.

1. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    1. Found an egg in the bator this morning that has a small spot where it had a tiny dent. The embryo was not moving. Could it be dead? Should I give it some time. It must have rolled into another egg. Can I put... tape over the little area?

2. One of the pullets, I know which one, lays oddly shaped eggs. More oblong than ovid. Is this normal? Is it a defect?

Thanks for your input.

2. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Try candle wax.
    She may learn to lay "normal" eggs. Since she is a pullet she is still getting the hang of it all. And you are only suppose to set "egg" shaped eggs. [​IMG]

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I have a pullet that lays some long eggs also, not all the time but a good amount of the time... It seems to be getting better with age !! I wouldn't try to incubate those just b/c of there shape.

What day are your eggs in the bator on ? If it's close to hatch time I wouldnt cover it !!

Also if the eggs are past 15 days in the bator you might not see much movement in the egg since its getting tight in there !!

4. mrandmrschicken

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    the hatch will be staggered. Not ideal but the way it has to be. The dented egg was laid and set on the 16th so I did use the candle wax. Thought I saw movement when candled but can't be sure. Will wait a few days to decide. Eggs from the 15th are active. I'll keep you informed.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Harley's girl :

you are only suppose to set "egg" shaped eggs. [​IMG]

I've never heard this. I have two girls still laying oblong eggs and we eat them all the time. Haven't grown horns or a tail yet. [​IMG]

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I've never heard this. I have two girls still laying oblong eggs and we eat them all the time. Haven't grown horns or a tail yet. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

We some oblong eggs too. No big deal.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:I've never heard this. I have two girls still laying oblong eggs and we eat them all the time. Haven't grown horns or a tail yet. [​IMG]

Er, Harley's girl said SET (as in, incubate for hatching), not "eat". LOL

They supposedly have a lower chance of hatching. Can be et just fine of course <g>

Pat

8. mrandmrschicken

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    I thought maybe I was putting to much pressure on the girls to get there egg business done in the mornings! [​IMG]

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I had a Polish Crested hen who always laid those long torpedo eggs. We would amuse ourselves thinking of her sneezing every time she was about to lay, and that would make her egg come zipping out so fast & long. I gave 2 of them to a broody to hatch, and got a hen & a roo. Interestingly enough, the hen also lays long skinny eggs.

Perhaps if you're breeding layers you wouldn't want to pass that trait along. But these eggs can be used for eating like any other shaped egg, and can be hatched, but perhaps not as successfully as other shapes.

They're certainly good for a laugh! [​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

Er, Harley's girl said SET (as in, incubate for hatching), not "eat". LOL

They supposedly have a lower chance of hatching. Can be et just fine of course <g>

Pat

Opps, my bad. Blame it on the fact that I've don't have a full pot of coffee in me yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by