2 questions on incubating

Discussion in 'Quail' started by James the Bald, Feb 5, 2013.

1. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    After doing some research, I picked up an incubator at the TSC. The type they "normally" carry is the still air Little Giant, and they offer the LG automatic egg turners. I think in getting ready for "chick days" which is right around the corner, they have stocked up on Farm Innovators combo pack which has a circulating fan, egg candler and an automatic egg turner, so I picked one up. I did some test runs with water getting the humidity and temperature worked out, when I decided to place a regular egg in straight from the fridge. Here is where the 1st question finally comes up.

Is it normal for the temperature to increase by 5 or 6 degrees when adding just one egg? The humidity dropped by 5 then leveled out, but the temp raised up and never dropped. I was perplexed as I was sure the temperature would initially drop from the cold egg before returning to 99.5.

The other question I have: I'm reading posts where people are having fertilized eggs shipped and have an incubation rate somewhere in the 50% range. Is it typical for shipped eggs to have a 50% hatch rate? I'm looking at initially raising 8 - 12 quail. I'll be keeping the largest male for breeding, and all other males will be harvested for consumption when they reach maturity, with one as a backup stud in the event the 1st is too aggressive; 5 or 6 hens as egg layers, and 4 hens for fertilized eggs. That's the plan, so considering a 50% hatch rate, 24 eggs should put me somewhere in the neighborhood of what I'm expecting. If mother nature throws me a curveball and I get a better than 50% rate, then I'll take that as a bonus.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, as I intend to purchase eggs as soon as the quail rails I have ordered arrive.

2. Wil SC

Wil SC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2012
    50% seems to be about accurate. I just had 10 out of 28 hatch but I had a little incubator problem. After doing an egg autopsy 7-8 of the unhatched had been developing so with better incubator conditions I would have been just over 50%.

Also remember you may have terrible luck and get lots of males hatching. But with it only taking 6 weeks to maturity you can always cull males like you plan then do a second hatch with your own eggs which should have a better hatch rate.

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    i think if you get 50% you are doing well. Anythng over that is a bonus. Shipped eggs are a gamble so you may get 1 out 24 hatch or 24 you just never know.

4. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Thank you for your replies. I found the answer to my rising temperature... when I first started to test the incubator, I didn't have the egg turner operating, so when I added the one cold egg, the heat from the motor on the egg turner caused the temperature to go up above what I had it set to.

As for the hatch rates, the way I see things happen on this forum, ordering 12 eggs may give me anywhere from 3 - 6 quail, and should I be lucky enough to have a 1:4 ratio, I can possibly get many future 100% hatch rates and get as many quail as I can care for, as hatching will become addictive. On the flip side, I could end up with a 0:4 ratio and have to order another 12 just to get one male (or 1 female).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by