2 Questions pasty butt and sand

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cohsm, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Cohsm

Cohsm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    When we got my chicks last Friday, I asked the guys opinion on sand in the brooder. He advised against it because they could choke. Has anyone had this experience? I have sand, but as of now it is covered in paper towels. The other thing is I have two girls that keep getting pasty butt (I think). When they poop it gets stuck in their fluff. They are an americana and a Cochin. I can't seem to get the gunk off. I have tried warm damp paper towels. They seem healthy and happy besides that. What causes this?

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    They can get an impaction if they eat too much sand...or too many shavings. I kept my chicks on paper towels for the first week...not only so I could see the character of their droppings, but also to give them a chance to learn what was food before turning them loose on sand.

Pasty butt is a softer than normal stool that gets caught in the downy fluff around the vent. So, anything that causes a softer stool can result in it. Stress (including heat stress), dietary imbalance, parasitism (esp coccidia in young chicks), and other things can all result in it.

3. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Oh, and you can give them a "butt bath" using warm water and a soft toothbrush if you have to. Just be sure to dry them off thoroughly and keep warm.

4. Cohsm

Cohsm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Thank you, I will try both of those things. I did raise their heat lamp, they did look a little warm. One was laying down with wings out. Figured they were too warm. Now we'll see if they start to huddle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by