1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 questions that I'm concerned about....

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Amanda39, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Amanda39

Amanda39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2014
    White Lake, Michigan
    My Embden goose is changing, and I don't know if it's good or not. My 2 geese are 6 months old. I have an Embden and a chinese Toulous mix. My Chinese mix is getting a little heavier and feathers are really filling in. My Embden can now fly really well and her/his feathers are so soft and beautiful. They both eat well, from what I can tell and seem very happy.
    My concern is of my Embden. She/he used to have feathers coming halfway down it's legs, making it look really fat LOL but now only one of her legs has these low lying, fat looking feathers, could she/he be losing weight? Although the same height as the Mix goose, she/he actually appears larger, but when I pick her/him up, she is actually lighter than the other goose.

Their diet consists of grass, Mazuri waterfowl pellets, McGreary organic duck food, cracked corn, mealworms, showbird crumble, romaine lettuce, watermelon and sometimes I buy mixed greens(Spring mix) salads from the grocery store.

Could she be losing weight, or just molting those thigh feathers? Should I change their diet?

Thanks in advance, I'm worried about her weight for the winter!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like the diet is good, can you post a pic? I have an Embden gander and he doesn't have feathers on his legs at all, actually I haven't ever heard of a goose with feathers growing on their legs.

3. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Try weighing her. Unless they're really, really skinny it's almost impossible to tell if they've lost weight.

4. Amanda39

Apr 14, 2014
    White Lake, Michigan
    Well, someone from BYC was kind enough to PM me that those low feathers are called lobes. Thank goodness someone told me, as my search for low feathers on a goose was getting me nowhere on google.

I have never wormed them, they are 6 months old, I read on here to buy Safegard for goats and give them each 1cc orally. I bought the safegard but I need to buy a syringe and some tubing to stick down their throats. I have never done this and I have a feeling I'll be lucky to get a drop in them.

Do most people worm their geese? I have 2, and they are my pets. I have no problem giving it to them, but like I said, I really have no clue if they even need it!

5. The goose girl

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Geese can get worms, mostly gizzard worms. But usually only young birds are affected (4-8 weeks old). As your geese are way older than that, and as you don't have older geese from which they could pick up the infection, it's highly unlikely worms should be the cause of weight loss. Also, the most common symptom is lethargy.

I've never heard of anyone in my country worming their geese, and I've never done it myself. As far as I've been able to google, the most common cause of worm infections in geese are keeping them in too cramped quarters and not rotating their grazing - which is probably not a problem when you only have the two.

6. Amanda39

Apr 14, 2014
    White Lake, Michigan
    Thank you soooooooo much for answering me concern! My geese are about 6 months old. They are my pets. They get fresh dry food daily, actually, 6 different foods. I give 1 scoop organic duck food by McGeary, 1 scoop Mazuri Waterfowl feed, 1/4 cup of the following... cracked corn, show bird crumbles, regular crumbles, back yard delight, mealworms and tomorrow I'm giving them hardboiled eggs in crumbles. They also get 2 heads of romaine, asparagus, and a bunch of random vegetables each day. I tried brussel sprouts and they feel the same way I do about them... YUCK!

I love my birds, and I want the best for them. If I"m supposed to worm them 2 times a year, I will, but if not, I won't. We love our babies and they seam totally healthy and happy as of right now. The lobes on my goose come and go, but they are young. I still don't know if I have a male and female or what.

Here is a video of them yesterday, please tell me what gender you think they are...

7. The goose girl

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    I'm pretty sure the Chinese/Toulouse is a female - if indeed that deep, throaty honking came from her. I'm not sure about the Embden; I couldn't hear it all that clear.

8. Amanda39

Apr 14, 2014
    White Lake, Michigan
    Basically, the White Embden sounds like a chicken clucking and the grey goose is extremely vocal and loud! Are the females supposed to be more vocal? Also, The embden is always hissing at strangers and looks hilarious with her tongue sticking out !!

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My Embden which is a gander is loud and high pitched and goose is low pitched when she honks or talks. My goose and gander both hiss. Soon you'll know for sure when mating season gets under way. Gander may not be as friendly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by