2 questions...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by yinzerchick, Oct 24, 2011.

1. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    First, I have a 30 week old Gold Laced Wyandotte roo, he is fine in every way, eating, energy, actions... except, I noticed his legs look a little reddish. It's been like that for weeks, and I thought it was maybe just his coloring, but I would like to get other opinions. No other hens, (that's all I have) have any leg problems, or this color on them that I've seen. I have 4 GLW hens and don't see this color on them. Here's a picture of his legs taken today. [​IMG]
    Can you see the red?

Second question...Can chickens, or do chickens, sneeze? Or get hiccups? I have a barred rock that seems to sneeze sometimes, or hiccup. There's no discharge from her nostrils, and she's moving about and eating fine. She'll do it several times, then she's done. Kinda like a little sneezing fit. It's actually sorta cute to watch her... it sounds a bit like a hiccup though.

Any comments will be helpful! Thanks!

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Great question. I was actually just coming here to post a question regarding my roo's legs. They almost seem kind of flushed. Pink. Almost exactly like your pic.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Your roosters legs are normal, just the hormones flowing. Chickens sneeze for a variety of reasons besides diseases. Environmental factors cause them to sneeze; especially from their feed, in particular crumbles. Sometimes they inhale the dust, it might cause them to sneeze or hiccup. Usually they'll get a drink of water afterwards and that'll be it. Smoke, pollen, hay or straw as bedding, ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, lawn care products/treatments all are examples that can cause sneezing.

4. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    Ohhhh....well thank you! I'm relieved it's nothing serious!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by