2 questions...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PasoMoon, Apr 18, 2012.

1. PasoMoon

PasoMoon New Egg

Mar 18, 2012
    My chicks are 8 weeks now, they grow so fast!! Will theybe ok outside now.? Nights here are in the mid 40s now, they spend all day outside and I bring them in at night.
    Also, the place we got them from said they should start eating all purpose poultry feed at 6-8 weeks, I got the bag today and it reccomends starting them on it at 16 weeks, so I am wondering how all of you feed your older chicks. Thanks!

2. thomaschickens

thomaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    I would they would be ok outside now especially if they're not somewhere windy or wet. If you're really worried about it, you could still hang a heat lamp in the corner where they could warm up if they needed to.

As for the food, I have always waited until closer to 16 weeks to change them over to a layers blend. I keep them on medicated chick starter until then.

And you're right, They grow up SO fast [​IMG]

3. wsonphan80

wsonphan80 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Pioneer, CA
    As long as they are feathered in and have a place to stay dry they should be fine. I also keep my chicks on medicated feed for the first 16 weeks then switch over to a lay formula. The pellets seem to really help reduce wasted feed. [​IMG]

4. PasoMoon

PasoMoon New Egg

Mar 18, 2012
    Thank you for the advice!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by