~~~2 Random Duck Related Questions~~~

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by The Wolf Queen, Nov 14, 2009.

1. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
  2. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    mature chickens shouldn't drown in the water, but the young ones might.

3. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Mrs. Turbo :

mature chickens shouldn't drown in the water, but the young ones might.

I have done it every summer, and have never had anyone drown in it. I would be careful if you had chicks though.

And dont go ANY deeper, or your risking it. I think I have lost 4 hens in the last 4 years, to the horse tank..... [​IMG]

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    ducks will live 6-10 years normally... though some can live longer.

I'd be more worried about the pool being in the coop since ducks will splash and make a huge mess. It might be better to keep the pool out of the pen in a run or an outside fenced off area. If they splash all the water, it'll mix with poop in the coop and cause some really funky smells and possibly bacteria that can be harmful to everyone's feet.

5. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    I had one in with my bachelor ducks and two Silkie chickens. The chickens seemed to do fine, but fortunately the area stayed grassy as the Silkies don't turn everything to dirt like the standard sized chickens.

6. The Wolf Queen

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Nettie wrote: I'd be more worried about the pool being in the coop since ducks will splash and make a huge mess. It might be better to keep the pool out of the pen in a run or an outside fenced off area. If they splash all the water, it'll mix with poop in the coop and cause some really funky smells and possibly bacteria that can be harmful to everyone's feet.

Ive already got that taken care of. I have a couple of ideas to mess with so theres plenty of back up ideas for the wet floor. My mother also suggested that we get a goat watering trough, not bury it and only fill it about half way so there is way less splashing out of the pool. Oh and the selected spot for the trough is in an area of the coop that when I tip it it goes through the wire and out of the coop [​IMG]. Im so proud of myself lol. So that idea has basically become plan A.
    Also as another question, I do leave the pool in year round correct?​

7. The Wolf Queen

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Anyone?

8. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:You know your weather better than we do, I supposes it feeezes over at night and thaws during the day, thats what it does here. I go out in the morning and break thru the top and take out the bigger chunks. When I let out the birds they head right for it even though they have drinking water through the night. when I come home in the evening my hose is thawed and I dump and refill then. If yours doesn't thaw there is no need to dump and they don't have any bath water. I would leave it in.

9. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Mine have been fine with the pond so far this year

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by