2 redtail hawks perching on chickens fence!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by painter chick, Aug 13, 2008.

1. painter chick

painter chick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Leelanau county MI
    About a week ago we had a hawk attack on the yard, fortunately I'd put up netting so hopefully the bugger got some sore legs for a couple days anyway.

So I drive by the coop just now and there are 2 hawks sitting there studying the netting, of course the chicks were all in the coop but can these buggers figure out how to get in the yard?

I need some hints on deterrants, what works what doesn't, etc. there will be no sss, I love hawks but I definately don't want them eating any chicken before I do, thanks for any advice,

Sue

2. Kentucky

Kentucky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Sue:

Now I'm not trying to be funny here but you pose an impossible quandary.
    Don't want them to eat your chickens before you do, but love the hawks.

So, depending on the current size of you "fryers", I guess you could move them to the freezer and let the hawks hang around.

On the other hand, I guess you could free range the chickens and pen up the hawks, but then that's definitely illegal.

Since I am charged with protecting the wife's precious little flock of (9)nine, I know how I handle any and all predators that pose a threat.

Kentucky​

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  3. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I doubt they will figure out how to get in. However, one could get caught up in the netting and maybe collapse it that way. Make sure your netting is solidly connected.

Are your chickens freaking out? [​IMG]

Supposedly, hanging shiny objects deters hawks. Used CDs seem to be especially good.

4. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    thats weird cause the other day a hawk was sitting on my fence staring at the chickens like "yum yum"

5. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    I just lost my favorite BA hen to hawk today. Tomorrow morning it is going to be SSS...federal protection be darned.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  6. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    what appears to be stupid hawks sitting on your fences happes a lot this time of year. Yes they really are a bit stupid. This is the time of year this crop of hawk chicks is being left to live or die on their own hunting skills. Many will not make it. Natures way. They have not learned to really fear humans yet and do not have the skills honed to find other than domestic or very young prey .

7. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I have juvenile hawks that do this daily now.

The chickens are STRESSED, egg production is down.

The weather has been nice lately and I have the windows open and the evening before last I heard the chickens making a fuss and I went out and looked and there sat a juvenile on the coop roof.

I have never had one get in and I have deer netting stretched over my run, just make sure there are no gaps and you should be fine.

The one post is correct the majority of these juveniles don't survive.

I even found one dead in my yard last year.

8. zimmy987

zimmy987 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    I dont have an answer to your question. Just wanted to say I grew up in Empire and its nice to see others from the same county..

9. brandywine

brandywine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Western PA
    Well, you can make it unpleasant for them to perch there giving your chooks the hairy eyeball by spreading something sticky and unpleasant -- I'd recommend tanglefoot -- the stuff you put on tree trunks to stop insects coming up them.

My dogs seemed to instinctively start running off large birds as soon as I moved the chicks outside. I assume they took their cue from the chicks. If you have a dog, encourage him to charge the hawks, barking.

Or charge them barking yourself!

Young-of-the-year are indeed stupid. Falconers call them "passage birds," and this is when they are often trapped and then trained for falconry. I don't think there's much demand for red-tails among licensed falconers, but you could ask around, maybe there's someone nearby with the proper permits who would take one or more of them off your hands.

10. Indian Gamester

Indian Gamester New Egg

Aug 15, 2008
    South Carolina
    Get you a bag of cherry bombs and a slingshot and light up them hawks. It ain't your responsibility to feed or entertain em.
    That is what I do to hawks- light em up that is

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by