2 Roos, 1 Hen Need Loving Home (NY) Due To Owner's Deportation

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by GallusGal, Jul 20, 2008.

1. GallusGal

GallusGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Greetings -

I am posting this for a neighbor as she does not speak sufficient English to use the forums. Her husband has been deported, leaving her a single mother of three young children with no job. She is moving out of the country to keep her family together, and desperately wants to find a home for her three beloved pet chickens. We are located in the Hudson Valley of NY but I will drive the birds up to five hours to deliver or meet. Early August I will be as far north as Ithica.

The birds available as as follows:
    - One gorgeous rooster who appears to be some kind of gamecock; lithe with a huge, flowing tail and stunning colorations. His age is unknown; he was abandoned on the property. He is not "friendly" but is handled daily, and has not displayed aggression towards humans.
    - One leghorn rooster, roughly 2 years old, with some old frostbite damage to the comb and wattles. He was hand raised as a chick and is very attached to his owner but can be aggressive to strangers (particularly the types who are afraid of him!). He is used to children, gets along well with other roosters and dogs, and comes when called to the name "Alex."
    - One small red hen, breed unknown, roughly two years old. She is not "tame" but a good layer by all accounts. She has some feather loss on her shoulders from mounting. If possible, it would be good to place her with the gamecock as they are bonded, but she can go separately as well.

The birds are used to roaming in a large back yard during the day and being penned in a coop at night. I do not know of any vetting by which to guarantee health but they certainly seem robust and healthy. No adoption fee, though I would like to speak with you on the phone to ensure a good home. The adoption will be done through me; she is signing the birds over to me when homes are found to reduce any complications.

Please PM me if you are interested.

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

That is to bad, good luck on finding a home. Perhaps a note at the feed store or Vet. Office. Sometimes people already have exhisting flocks that are willing to bring in new chickens. Its so nice of you to help them out like this, may you find yourselves in many blessed times.

3. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Try to contact Lollypop Farm in Fairport NY. It's affliliated with the Humane Society of Rochester and they're a rescue organization for farm animals. They may be able to help put you in touch with someone in the Ithaca area who can help.

http://www.lollypop.org/

There's also Farm Sanctuary in Watkins Glen, which is close to Ithaca, but be sure to read the website before you get in touch with them so that you understand their philosophy re: farm animals (i.e.: they're NOT food). They rescued a lot of farm animals from the Midwest floods. [​IMG]

http://www.farmsanctuary.org/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by