2 roo's 2 pullets is this managable? help please...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by macbeth, Sep 24, 2011.

1. macbeth

macbeth Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    I have posted pics of our chicks on the breed gender forum under last cance to burst our pullet bubble!! the general consensus is that we have 2 of each gender. Now comes the tricky part...our chicks are going to be confined to a coop and run with a swap over to the hastily double wired dog run (minus dogs). we have an issue here with mink and stoats and the usual foxes and badgers plus our own 4 dogs anyway i dont think we have enough space or hens to keep 2 roosterd. Am i correct? the boys aren't showing any aggression to each other or the others but i know this will probably change!! so really is it time to find new homes for them? it's a pity as we have them so tame and the boys are the better looking of our chicks (sorry girls).any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Have a peek at our pics and let me know whayt u think.

Thanks

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:The only thing I see is your going to have hens without feathers because of over mating. Plus eventually the roos will fight especially if kept confined. I'd try and find one a home. I know it's hard we have 5 roos right now 3 we need to process[yes we eat our extra roos]but we still get attached to them, but for the health of your small flock it would be better to find a home for at least one of your roos. good luck. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    exactly what Miss Lydia said! [​IMG]

4. ragnar1107

ragnar1107 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    Elkhorn Wisconsin
    General rule 9 girls too every boy. Otherwise your hens will just get harassed so much it will cause them stress.

5. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    i had a friend who had 4 cockerels and 2 chickens!

6. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Considering a roo will mate around 15 times PER DAY, even assuming they spread the love evenly between the two hens I reckon that's too much lovin' for two girls to take on without being seriously stressed.

7. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    they have got 7 more hens now

8. macbeth

macbeth Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the replies....had them out for a run about today and the boys are just so much fun, trying to out do each other with the if u can jump up on that perch so can i!! Dilema time...do we hold off and see what happens or re-home tje boys and get a couple more hen chicks. We really only have enough space for 4!!

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Re-home NOW...Why wait for what will for sure happen.

10. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Go ahead and find homes now, you'll only grow more attached as time goes on - and that will just make it harder. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by