2 Roos, 4 Hens 10WKS When should I get rid of one of the Roo's?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bmarshgu, Jun 20, 2008.

1. bmarshgu

bmarshgu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    I know that two of my chickens are roo's, but I would like for them to crow before I get rid of one of them for absolute confirmation. One of them is very friendly and the other is slightly more aggressive and is definitely more dominant. They do not fight yet. When do I make the decision to give one of them away?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  2. bmarshgu

Jun 7, 2008
    The two of them have been raised together, any chance it will work?

3. bmarshgu

Jun 7, 2008
    Still need help!

4. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I would wait a little bit, or post pics here to get confirmation that they are roos. You only need one roo for that many hens, and two will be a problem. I'd keep the sweeter one if it is indeed a roo.

5. bmarshgu

Jun 7, 2008
    Thank you for your help! I just want to be absolutely sure that they are both roosters.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would wait. This will also give you time to decide which roo is the gentleman and more layback. I have 2 brother roos, 6 months old, and they still get along.

7. Hensense

Hensense New Egg

Jun 10, 2008
    Poolesville Maryland
    I have never been able to keep two roosters together in my flock of 20 or so, sooner or later I come out to one of them bloodied and beat up. And then the fighting will continue and can get quite ugly. As soon as you can tell they are both roosters and before you get too attached I would remove one.

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I say keep them until they are about 8 months old or so and pick the most gentle one to be your roo. I had 4 roos in with 10 hens for about 7 months before the roos started getting tooo rough with the girls, then i seperated the roosters kept 2 in the garage together (which they loved) and the other 2 little banties stayed outside but.... they started fighting then they had to be separated as well i ended up only keeping one rooster who happens to hate my dog and small children (sigh).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by