2 Roos and 1 Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dcindell, Aug 11, 2013.

1. dcindell

dcindell New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    I am a first time chicken owner and have raised these three from day old chicks. They are now about 13 weeks old, I am pretty sure it is 2 boys and 1 girl but wanted some confirmation before I had to re-home the boys:(

"Fatty" : This is the one that I would need the most help on. Some days it looks "girly" and others it looks like a roo. Also knowing the breed would help. (EE or Ameraucana or something else?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Penny: I am sure she is a hen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dudley (of course my favorite...and he's ALL boy):

[​IMG]

Thank you!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    First looks to be a barred Easter egger cockerel
    Second looks to be a red sex link hen
    Third is a silkie, that means I don't even guess gender lol.

3. dcindell

dcindell New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    Haha, thank you so much! I wouldn't guess on a silkie either but to my disappointment at 8 weeks he had huggggee bright red waddles already so I think it's safe to assume[​IMG]

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    I don;t see anything male about Fattty- the curve to her tail feathers are not roo traits but some will believe it so. Her beard is very fluffy, usually it's fluffier on pullets and flatter/smaller on cockerels. EE would be the simplest label for her.. could be EE crossed or mixed with barred rock.

the silkie is likely a male- exceptionally ratty looking tail feathers and seems like darker shade of red coming up on the wings.

5. dcindell

dcindell New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    Kev, yes! That is what keeps me thinking Fatty is a boy because the tail curves!! If that isn't a boy trait then you totally just made my day!

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Glad to help. :)

Both boys and girls can have straight or curvy tail feathers. The curved roo feathers are actually the little feathers by the side of the 'real tail feathers' that grow much longer on boys than girls.

Another reason I think pullet is because her neck feathers are perfectly round tipped. No darker and shinier and narrower roo type feathers anywhere on neck, wings or back.

7. ClucksAndPeeps

ClucksAndPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Fatty: Olive Egger cockerel
    Penny: Red Sex-Link pullet
    Dudley: Buff Silkie cockerel

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

9. dcindell

dcindell New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    Just wanted to update just in case anyone else was trying to figure out their own chickens gender. Fatty who was widely believed to be a cockerel, is in fact a beautiful lady!

Dudley crowed the morning after I posted this and found a new home within an hour.

I love my girls:)

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks for the update, and glad the barred bird was a hen. Sometimes it's good to be wrong lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by