2 Roo's ganging up on hens....Rehome 1 or both?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Blazed, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Blazed

Blazed New Egg

Mar 11, 2011
    I ended up with 2 brahma roo's and 3 hens from TS all the same age.(?20 wks?) I am starting to have issues with the roo's. Not with each other, but ganging up on the hens. I think they are trying to mate but 2 on 1 and the hen ends up bloody. 3 times now and I cant let my hens continue to be hurt. Feather pulling, ok, but not this.

So if I send 1 to freezer camp....or find a new home for him if I cant bring myself to, Will the other straighten out? Or at least 1 roo to 3 hens should lighten the load? Or do they both need to go?

Right now both roo's are separated in dog crates, I need to figure this out because I dont want them to stay there long.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You did the right thing by separating them from the hens. Yes, big clumsy roosters gang breeding hens can cause serious damage. If you want to keep one, try the least aggressive. If he continues with his testosterone ridden aggression, get rid of him too. You really don't need a rooster unless you want fertile eggs--also, 3 hens is probably not enough for such a large rooster. They would most likely be overmated. Good luck at resolving this situation.

3. coppahed

coppahed Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2007
    Montana
    Leave one in the dog crate and see if the other one is better. If not put him back incrate, and let the other roo loose. Keep the least aggressive.
    1 roo for 10 hens is plenty. I have 1 roo w/6 hens and no one is getting abused. No missing feathers or bloody backs. You owe it to your hens to make the decision to get rid of one. Good Luck and keep us posted.

4. Gladiator

Gladiator Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    This is a very common vehavior with comercial poultry. I've seen it several times before and I have to warn you that in many cases the cock en up killing the hen. Unfortunatelly this vehavior is not likely to stop, which is the result of poor breeding selection, so, you may want to get another cock from a reputable breeder, and cull the ones you have and make a good meal with them, or like coppahed say, try one cock at the time and see if there is one that can be used; it could also be that they are compiting for the right to mate, and since the natural tendency to fight among cocks for that right have preaty much been selectively eliminated, they take it on the hen instead in many ocations.

Good look. [​IMG]

5. Blazed

Blazed New Egg

Mar 11, 2011
    Thanks all, I spent most of the day building a temporay coop/run for the 2 roos. The hens seem soo much happier. The roosters are busy trying to figure out how to get past the fence to get back to the hens.

I'm gonna try to reintroduce one of the roo's once I know the hens are strong again, But g/f said I'm not allowed to cull either because she is attached. I kinda like em both too... anybody want a light brahma rooster?

I also got my first 3 eggs between this morning and this afternoon. Would stress make them hold off on laying until the roos were removed? or was it just coincidence?

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Stress from gang breeding, harassment, and fighting definately has a negative effect upon egg laying. I am glad that you can see the difference in your hens' level of happiness.

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Whatcha got there is typical of young roosters. They act like teenage boys in heat until they mature. Can`t blame the rooster, that`s what they do. You can keep them seperated until you find a home for the one you least favor. Chances are they will turn their aggression toward each other if they are penned seperately for any amount of time. One rooster for 3 hens should be fine, once the boy matures. Even after you rehome one of them you may have to pen the remaining one until he`s over a year old, if he continues to irritate the pullets. Good luck........Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by