2 roos look alike, one frizzled, one normal - breed???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by skyedobb, Jan 7, 2010.

1. skyedobb

skyedobb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Quad Cities, IA
    [​IMG] - flat feathers
    [​IMG] - frizzle

From a very mixed flock/hatch so they could be mutts...but since they both look so alike (minus frizzle vs. flat), thought maybe not? Hatched May '09.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

They look like EEs to me, but one question what color are their legs?

3. lcw

lcw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    southern ohio
    are you sure thats frizzled. looks like its got silkie feathers. anyone else agree?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  4. FLF

FLF Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Portersville
    Looks like an EE and a silkied EE. Very Pretty!

5. Candachan

Candachan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2009
    Omaha
    The color patterns look an awful lot like Faverolles roosters.

6. skyedobb

Mar 17, 2009
    Quad Cities, IA
    The frizzle/silkie one has greenish/brownish/yellowish/grayish legs, and the smooth-feathered one has more brown/gray/black eggs, but in the right light I could be convinced that they have some green. I was thinking EE, too... Here are the potential breeds of the mixed flock: Roosters = golden polish, black cochin, easter eggers (blue,white and black feathers),welsummer,salmon faverolle and cuckoo maran; Hens = speckled sussex, gold polish, cresevour, dorkings,rhode island red, turken. I don't think the person I got the eggs from has any silkies, so that's why I was leaning frizzle. I've never been around frizzle so I really don't know. They're really nice roos, not aggressive at all, and what they are doesn't really matter. I was trying to sell them b/c I do have a couple/few too many for my hens especially with decreased roaming in winter but no one took me up on it. I was just curious.

7. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    How many toes do they have?

8. skyedobb

Mar 17, 2009
    Quad Cities, IA
    Haven't gone outside to check on toes yet but did email the person I got the eggs from and she did have a silkie roo and no frizzle, so it likely is a silkie cross! Thanks for that tip! [​IMG]

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:And actually, I don't know that the toe thing will be that helpful now, as Faverolles, Dorkings, and silkies all have 5 toes! I think we can guarantee who the second roos daddy is though! That's definitely a silkie cross!

10. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Those are silkied feathers, not frizzled. Silkie feathers can be the result of a genetic mutation, not necessarily from a silkie parent. The only way to know for sure is to find out what their lineage is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by