2 roo's only one crows!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PhlyinPheBee, Jul 5, 2010.

1. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Is is normal to have 2 roo's in a yard with hens and have only one of them crow??? I know by the tail feathers and neck ones that he is a roo. He just does not do anything rooish. The other roo crows starting at 5 am and will go until 8 pm.

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    If your crowing roo is very dominant, the non-dominant one may keep quiet. Crowing is a territorial/sexual thing, so the alpha male always does most if not all of it.

I am (un)fortunate enough to have 4 roosters with no real dominance of one over another and they crow endlessly!

Sandie

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Exactly. Sometimes if the alpha is a very dominant, the other(s) keep quiet. For them to crow would be a challenge to the alpha and that involves butt whoopin's.

4. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Quote:Exactly. Sometimes if the alpha is a very dominant, the other(s) keep quiet. For them to crow would be a challenge to the alpha and that involves butt whoopin's.

that works for me!!!!! I really like the non crowing one. He is so sweet. The crower is a rumpless Araucana!!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you remove the dominant rooster, the non dominant will start crowing within a week.

6. norcal

norcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Yes, this happened with us last fall. [​IMG]
    But, both wound up being mean, and well, dinner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by