2 Roos same coop??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nuttyboo, Aug 4, 2014.

1. nuttyboo

nuttyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    I have a large coop that houses 30 chickens in that 30 we have two new founded Roos in most cases is it possible for them to live all together or should I remove the Roos and put into their own coop?? Or should I have two separate flocks?

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Yes, you can have the 2 roos together......with so many hens they shouldn't have a problem.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  3. Legbone

Legbone Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2014
    Eden, NC
    Okay, I have 6 roos and 3 hens. What the heck should I do? They are 13 weeks old, so they aren't actually fighting, but they do challenge each other. Setting the pecking order type of fighting. But right now, they are still too young to actually cause any harm...

4. nuttyboo

May 31, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    IMO I'd be culling 5 of the Roos, or put them in a pen of their own, so when maturity hits they don't fight over the only 3 girls. Also I'd be adding more pullets to your flock, I've been told aprox 10:1 ratio

5. Legbone

Legbone Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2014
    Eden, NC
    When do you think they will become a problem? Especially for the hens? I did read about the 10:1 ratio but I'm not really ready to get rid of anybody just yet. Having too much fun with them. Plus, when I do get rid of them, I want to replace them and I read somewhere that chicks and adults don't always get along too well.

6. nuttyboo

May 31, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    They mature at around 5 mos. when we started our flock we ordered from a hatchery the only issue is they clip their beaks, we ordered in 7 week old pullets but you can get them at POL. I have 4 Easter Eggers I'm inter grating into flock it's taken a few weeks (3) but going ok

7. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    It depends on breed and genetics, some will start fighting around 12 weeks or earlier depending. If your 2 roosters have grown up together and have that many hens then it shouldn't be a problem as they will have enough hens to watch over.

To the question about 6 roosters 3 hens. I would remove all the roosters until you can pick which one to keep. That many hens is way to few for even one rooster and your ratio of 10-1 or 9-1 is a good idea. That many roosters with so few hens will both fight and harass the hens and injure them

8. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota

They will start becoming a problem soon.......I've read that you can do fine with 6 hens to 1 roo.

9. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    I've got a two yr old roo cochin and his two girls in with three 5 month old maran roos
    And even though one of my Marans keeps trying to mate with a cochin there has been no blood shed yet!
    Mind you today cuddles the maran roo was on top of the poor little cochin but her fellow cochin hen came along a heaved him off
    He's just being naughty at the moment I think he'll grow out of it

10. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I have 2 4 week old chicks with my 4 13 week old pullets and they are fine as long as there's lots of different hiding, feeding and watering places.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by