2 Roosters, 1 Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mscarfe, Oct 11, 2013.

1. mscarfe

mscarfe New Egg

Oct 11, 2013
    Hi All,

My sister is a school teacher and recently had a hatching experience in her classroom. At the end of the experience she had 3, 1 week old chicks remaining which were given to me as we already had 2 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Australorps and space for a few more. Obviously there was a gamble with the gender as we aren't allowed to keep roosters because of council regulations.

The chicks are now 6-8 weeks old and 2 are starting to show traits of being roosters.

Any thoughts as to what the gender may be (each photo is a different chicken)?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I think you got red sex links from your school hatch and yes the two white ones would be roosters and the red and white would be the pullet

1 person likes this.
  3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    x2

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, you have two roosters and one pullet. They look like Red Sex-Links.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, you have two roosters and one hen. They are Red Sex-links (Red Stars, Cinnamon Queens, etc.), which is a hybrid in which the males are white with some red patches, and the females are reddish brown with some white feathers.

1 person likes this.
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

What they all said, lol.

7. TweetyNPetey

TweetyNPetey Chillin' With My Peeps

Agreed.

8. mscarfe

mscarfe New Egg

Oct 11, 2013
    Thanks for the responses. Looks like I will have to start looking for a new home for the boys.

The hatching company claim that they use Australorp, New Hampshire, Sussex, Black and White Leghorn, and Lohmanns breeds to produce the eggs.

After some (very interesting) reading into sex-links I am guessing that the father would have been a New Hampshire and the mother a Light Sussex?

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, I think that you're right. Light Sussex are one of the common breeds for the Red Sex-Link cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by