2 roosters + 10 new hens = WHAT????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NC29mom, Aug 20, 2010.

1. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    I have a question........ I have 2 japanese BTW bantam roosters, born around Easter. They have been together since birth. Raised together and alone. Their names are Luther & Tiger. Well, Tiger is the dominant one. He grabs Luther by the back of the neck and throws him around from time to time. I got sick of it (because I LOVE LUTHER) once and threw Tiger in with my big flock (1 rooster and 13 buff orphington hens - Luther was also showing signs of sickness and Tiger was not so that's another reason I separated them. My big flock rarely goes in their pen because they free range 95% of the day) Luther & Tiger were still able to see each other, they just weren't in the same area. Well, after a week I left the door to Luther's area a bit cracked. Tiger went in. AND LUTHER JUMPED ON HIM AND BEAT HIS BUTT!!! I loved every minute of it!! It was fabolous!!!! But, now, Tiger is back to being the dominant one.

WELL, I have bought 10 japanese BTW hens. They are 8 months old and already laying eggs. So, they are about 1-2 months older than my roosters. I was wondering how I should incorporate them in with Luther and Tiger. I was thinking.......................................................maybe (after I quarantine them) I should put just Luther in with the hens. Leave Tiger out. Wait a week or so and then let Tiger in. I am wondering if this would make Luther grow some huh huhs again and stop letting Tiger beat him up all of the time. Maybe Luther will think it's HIS FLOCK and be the head rooster.

Or, I could just put both roosters with the hens at the same time. BUT, what if Tiger tries to dominate the flock and poor Luther never gets to get any loving. He is sooooo sweet, would make the perfect leader rooster. He shares and waits his turn and is just a gentleman. Tiger reminds me of a stingy, greedy child.

OR, I COULD JUST DIVIDE THEM UP. But, that would mean I would have to build another pen/coop. I could, but it would take some time. At least a day or so. Maybe put Luther with 5 hens and Tiger with 5 hens.

JUST thought I would ask everyones opinion. Maybe you have experienced the same issue yourself and have some guidance for me?????

By the way, here's a picture of my fine looking boys:
    [​IMG]
    Luther's on the left and Tiger's on the right

[​IMG]
    Luther on left and Tiger on right

[​IMG]
    Luther's on the left and Tiger's on the right

****Edited to inform you Tiger is the one with the perfect comb and Luther is the one with the uneven one..............

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

BEEE-U-T-FUL boys!
    I would do what you said first... let Luther have the girls to himself for the first several weeks (at least) and then let Tiger in on the fun... other than separate flocks, I think this would work best. Good luck! [​IMG]

ETA... forget this crummy advice!

3. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    It's a love/hate relationship. lol. I would give them their own girls to get lovin from.

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

what beautiful boys... I hope you can work it out to where everyone's happy. [​IMG]

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Learn from my mistake - If you ever separate them, you will never be able to put them back together again without them fighting... sometimes to the brink of death, especially in this heat.

6. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Gosh... I wasn't thinking... I take back my first not so well thought out opinion... this ^^^ is true... I'd forgotten... thanks greenfamilyfarms!
    So now I vote for separate flocks or more girls.

7. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    I'd do one of 2 things. split the entire group into 2 halves or put the submissive rooster in with the hens and let the other one drool for a little while.

8. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] "huh huhs" [​IMG]

9. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Well, I have separated them before. And, they didn't fight bad when they were reunited. OR DO YOU MEAN once I get the hens???? Don't start with Luther & all the hens and later add Tiger? IS that what you mean??

DURN IT! I really don't have room to have 2 separate areas. Hmmmm, better get to planning....

10. bethsplace

bethsplace Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    would you consider getting rid of Tiger and keep luther do you need to roosters? that would solve your problem

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by