1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 Roosters and 17 Hens What to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Roberts2100, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Roberts2100

Roberts2100 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2012
    Madison, AL
    I have 2 roosters and both want to mate with the girls. But roo 1 is king and roo 2 well he tries but always gets run off. Today roo 1 chased roo 2 all over the free rang run. They are not going to hurt one another are they? Do I need to do anything about it?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have more than one rooster and mine have always jockeyed around for a while until they figure out Carl IS the flock Boss, and he'll let them be lieutenants or sergeants, but he's the Commander.
    Unless there is blood shed, yours should eventually settle down, with the non-dominant roo keeping his distance from the dominant one. Feather pulling, pecking, screaming and create-flaring are nom-verbal methods of reminding the other roo "I am boss here.". You have enough hens for both.

In my opinion, anyway.

3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Were they raised together? Is there losts of room in the pen for the submissive roo to get away?

If there is just chasing and no fighting going on, then they will be fine. The dominant roo will soon be confident of his status and will chase the other less and less. I would only interviene when there is serious fighting and more than a little blood being drawn.

I have a huge Aussie roo and a medium BlackSexLink roo that were raised together and they get along just fine. There was lots of chasing at first when the hormones really got going at 17 weeks but both the boys have really settled down now. They are 30 weeks old now I believe.

4. 6DollinsFarm

6DollinsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2012
    I had 2 roos that were raised together. They didn't fight. Mine free range during the day and at night the dominant roo did allow roo 2 to come into the coop. However during the day the dominant roo would knock roo 2 off of any hens and chase him off from the flock if food was around. I noticed roo 2 also was losing weight from this. Unfortunately, the dominant roo was killed defending a hen :(

5. Roberts2100

Roberts2100 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2012
    Madison, AL
    They were raised together.

6. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Okay, IMO just keep an eye on things. I really think that they will settle down with time.

I agree with 6DollinsFarm that you should watch the body condition of the submissive roo. I have 2 seperate feeders in my coop so I don't have to worry about my Aussie running the BSL off the feed and my coop is seperated into 2 sections so they each "their" half of the coop.

Best of luck with your boys :)

7. Philpag

Philpag New Egg

Jul 2, 2012
    Glad to hear that this is normal. I have 2 roos that are 15 weeks old and roo 1 is dominating roo 2. It gets a little crazy in the coop but i will wait until time passes to see if they settle down.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by