2 roosters and 3 hens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Henriettasdad, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Henriettasdad

Henriettasdad New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    My girlfriend and her kids and I recently purchased 5 chicks 2.5 months ago in hopes all were hens. Well, it turns out that 2 are roosters and are beginning to be noisy at dawn. The kids have become attached to them as pets and give them lots of daily attention. Is it possible to have 2 roosters together that grew up together? Do we need more hens to avoid trouble?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]I believe the usual advice is one rooster per 10-12 hens, you want to keep him busy so he doesn't "overuse," the same hen(s)' For two roosters you'd need to double that number .

You don't need roosters to have eggs. You only need them if you want FERTILE eggs for hatching. Their eventual crowing could cause neighborhood problems.

3. Henriettasdad

Henriettasdad New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Ideally, we did not want roosters. Unfortunately, I have children and a girlfriend who have raised them and have become attached to them.(that doesn't sound right) I have heard a minimum of 10 hens. Do the roosters need to be separated if they grew up together? Do we need 20 hens then?

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! If you get more hens it would help a lot. Even if the roosters don't fight they will each want to mate with the hens and could possibly injure them in the process. As they grow up one of the roosters will most likely decide he's the top dog in the flock and fight for it's spot. He will get first pick of the hens and the second roo will get what's left. The other option is keep each roo in it's own separate coop and run with it's own hens, but this will be an expensive hassle.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! I agree with the above postings. Good luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by