2 Roosters BFF ?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mrszlopez, May 19, 2009.

1. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    I have a 11 week old Silky Roo & an 11 week old Cochin Roo. I bought them together & figured theyd be okay living together. Well, these two sleep together, eat together, walk around together & prety much poop together too !!! The cochin fights with any & every other chicken he sees (except the female cochin that came with them as well). I was planning to eventually seperate them when they move to their new coops, but i dont want to seperate them. Is this normal for two roos to be BFFs like this !?

2. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    ive never herd of it before i was just going to ask you for pictures sounds cute

3. Eduardo

Eduardo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    Well I got a goose that got my silkie's back. He even pecks at the female silkies. When the Turken comes to pick on him for being smaller, my goose holds him by his back feathers while the silkie beats him up.

4. mrszlopez

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    that goose & silkie story is too cute !! i have to take pics of teh two of them together. i dont think it will last long though. theyre out running around with each other & they jumped at each other but im hoping it was just a play thing [​IMG] but i dont think it was . i think theyre testing each others "manliness" lol.

5. sealsandwich

sealsandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2008
    Alaska
    Yes it is possible!! I had two roos that were both Brahma mixes. Pal and Purdy Egg Layer (We didn't know he was a he at first...). They were inseparable. Pal was dominant and crowed all the time all day long. Purdy Egg Layer worshiped the ground he walked on and followed him around occasionally answering him. It was funny too because he was actually the larger of the two. We had a third roo (buff orp) that would occasionally try to crow and well...you know what they try. Purdy Egg Layer would crow him down and beat him up every time. And then he would back off and let Pal do his thing before he saddled up. After we got rid of Pal, Purdy Egg Layer never crowed again. He still tried to manage the girls, but soon gave up. I am telling you he was one depressed chicken and missed his "Pal." Sorry for the long story, but it is a true one! I believe chickens-even roos-can be BFF's. haha

6. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    awww how sweet!
    my theory is that just like people, they can get attached and make friends, and also get depressed when they loose their friends. ever had two dogs, one passes away and the other is never quite the same?

social animals like chickens can develop strong bonds with one another. i wouldn't separate them if they are so close, it would be heartbreaking for them [​IMG]

7. mrszlopez

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    i dont mind the long stories at all !! & i definately dont want them to be depressed. they started arguing a little tonight, but i think theyll be okat together. the cochin is pretty aggressive & hes turning mr silkie into a little tough guy too. but i will work something out with them. their sister cochin is probably going to pass away this week. she has a broken leg& i dont think she will make it much longer. im so upset that they might miss her [​IMG]

8. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    I have several roosters, most I have to keep up. I try to rotate the free ranging privilages. But mostly my laying hens and their two roosters are th eones who keep most of the free ranging, because they all go up better. Any how, the two roosters are always together, they are a white cochin rooster and an EE rooster. Neither of these roosters get along with the other roosters, but they have each others back also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by