2 roosters for 4 chickens too many?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kaybats, Jun 4, 2011.

1. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    They have all been together since the day I got them.

one guy says "no big deal" They might peck each other a little, but since they are growing up together, it shouldn't be a problem.

another guy says that I'll have to sell one or eat one.....not happenin.....I'll separate them before I do that. He said that once they mature, they will most likely fight all the time.

So, what to do?

Also, will it be too much for the chickens when they are ready to lay?

(btw, is this the right section to ask about fertilizing eggs?)

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Well the roo's may very well establish a pecking order and learn to get along but your hens are going to suffer from too much, um, attention, from the boys. You'll end up with a lot of featherless, scratched up hens. Or, since there are so few hens, the roo's may continue to fight. Either way you have too few hens for two roo's.

I have 8 hens with one roo and I would like a few more hens so maybe his favorites wouldn't get quite so much attention from him.

3. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Thank you so much...I know what I'll do. I have more than enough room to give one guy his own apartment. But can I swap them out once in a while to keep everyone happy til I get more chickens? If so, how often would you suggest? or would that be an infringement on territory issues and nobody will get fertilized?

Thanks again for everyone's answers....I need all the help I can get![​IMG]

4. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    As long as either rooster is around, all the hens will get fertilized. Repeatedly. You might even have to keep both roos away from the girls if they start losing feathers on their backs from too much roo attention.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by