2 Roosters Harassing Male duck

superbouncyball

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 5, 2014
North East PA
All has been well all summer. We have a small flock of 8 chickens (2 roosters 6 Hens) and 2 Rouen ducks one male one female. They are all New 2014 spring hatchlings and have been together since day 2. They all share the same Coup.

The 2 roosters used to try to mount the female duck and the Male Duck (his name is Bubbles) would chase them off.

The roosters seemed to have lost interest in Susan (female duck) in the past month or so.

Today however things have changed. When I went to let the all out(they all free range) I noticed bubbles was injured. looked like he got pecked in his eye and he had blood all over the tip of his bill. Bubbles was slow to get moving but eventually did get out and roam with the others. I did notice that the roosters though were chasing him a good bit today and this is not normal. I was able to catch bubbles and get him isolated in the chicken run. I did also notice that Susan was getting mounted repeatedly by the roosters too. Her neck was mussed up from the roosters grabbing her. I put her also in the Chicken run with bubbles.

What I want to know is any ideas why the roosters are doing this? and can I re introduce the ducks back to the Flock?

Allowing the drake to regain his strength and eliminating one of the roosters may solve the problem. He will be better able to ward off one rooster. The two are tag teaming him - it's unfair to the ducks.

UPDATE!

After the white rooster chased my 7 year old daughter across the yard 2 days ago. Thought the rooster was playing cause when I got my daughter to stop running the rooster stopped chasing, looked at her and walked away. I did not think too much of it. But today when I let the Chickens out to range he came at me 2 times.Do going to deal with that. So he is now in a crate and will be going to the animal auction on Tuesday. He is also the dominate rooster.

Bubbles the drake seems to be doing better and if he looks recovered enough I will let him and Susan out of the run to range with the others tomorrow. Hopefully the black rooster leaves him alone and it goes well.

Is this normal for a rooster that was doing well to all of a sudden to be a man fighter?

UPDATE!

After the white rooster chased my 7 year old daughter across the yard 2 days ago. Thought the rooster was playing cause when I got my daughter to stop running the rooster stopped chasing, looked at her and walked away. I did not think too much of it. But today when I let the Chickens out to range he came at me 2 times.Do going to deal with that. So he is now in a crate and will be going to the animal auction on Tuesday. He is also the dominate rooster.

Bubbles the drake seems to be doing better and if he looks recovered enough I will let him and Susan out of the run to range with the others tomorrow. Hopefully the black rooster leaves him alone and it goes well.

Is this normal for a rooster that was doing well to all of a sudden to be a man fighter?
Not sure if 'normal' is the right word, but yes, it can happen. When cockerels come into sexual maturity, all bets are off, this is when you start to see their true nature. Having more than one cockerel creates a competition arena and they tend to misbehave more than if they are the only cockerel. Human behavior can trigger aggression too, especially when little kids are around. I think you'll find that things will calm down now that the one cockerel is sequestered.

Ok Awesome. So maybe this Rooster is not necessarily an aggressive one but because of there being 2 roosters it brings it out of him. Well hopefully maybe he ends up on a farm. Bummer for him cause he had a good home here.

Ok Awesome. So maybe this Rooster is not necessarily an aggressive one but because of there being 2 roosters it brings it out of him. Well hopefully maybe he ends up on a farm. Bummer for him cause he had a good home here.
Well, maybe I mislead you, sorry...... it doesn't guarantee that the remaining cockerel will not become human aggressive...

But removing all but one cockerel greatly reduces chicken aggression in remaining cockerel.

correct I understand and it makes perfect sense. we will see what happens and if he misbehaves he will go to the auction too.

is it important to have a Cockerel in the flock?

If they are good ones, they can be very interesting and enjoyable to have around to watch their behaviors and they are often very pretty with their extra plumage.
Some folks swear by the protection factor they might provide, if they have that skill, for free ranging their flocks.
If you are a breeder, well, they are mandatory.

I didn't plan on having one when I started with chooks because I didn't want to deal with an aggressive rooster as I had experienced being flogged by one when chicken sitting for friends. But the 1 1/2yo adult flock I bought would come with an extra four 4 mo chicks if I took the 'tame' rooster too. She swore he was not aggressive and proved it by picking him up when I went to look at them. So I took him and he was a joy to own: Beautiful, fascinating and never a false move towards me. I actually gave him back to her sister when I got my Welsummer cockerel this spring. I also hatched out 2 other cockerels this spring, that's when I learned that once more than one starts crowing(becoming mature) it causes problems and removing all but one immediately solved the problem. One of those other cockerels was delicious on the grill.

Last edited:
Well we are now roosterless. the other rooster tore into the drake today He is now caught and in a cage and will also go to the auction.

I agree that they are pretty to see and they are fun to watch. It is a shame as the less dominate one was very pretty.

On a positive note I do have 5 eggs in the incubator at day 20 right now. So we should have 5 new chicks in a couple days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom