2 roosters in one flock, is it possible?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CrazyChickensEverwhere, May 14, 2011.

1. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Hello. I am ready to enter my 2nd rooster into the flock. I was wondering whats going to happen before I do this. I mean Im going to have the one rooster in a cage for a few days to reduce fights. I have 12 sexually mature girls. And I have around 16-18 pullets at 6-7 weeks. I know I dont have enough girls that are mature but I will in 10 weeks or so. But will the rooster pick and choose their girls? My coops ok sized. and when Im home they free range.

2. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I think I'd consider getting some more hens of breeding age first. Mainly for the hens' sakes. Also, it usually doesn't work out to introduce fully-grown roos to each other. I have 3 roos in one flock, and the get along o.k., but 2 were raised together, and they were not quite mature when the third was introduced-----he has just recently matured. Good luck.

3. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    Well I guess I'll give it a try. There together right now, and they are trying to fight through the cage a little. but other wise there minding there own buisness.

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes it's possible but usually the second roo is added as a chick so that he grows up knowing who the Head Roo is... he kinda grows into his position... I usually keep a father and son combo, but right now I have 2 brothers from the same hatch (their father was killed last summer)... one is definately the Alpha and the other is Beta... they both know where they stand.
    For the hens' sake and the Beta roo, have plenty of girls to go around!

5. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    The one is caged and since I dont have eough hens at the moment could I rotate them in and out. Like 1 rooster goes in the cage for a week, next week comes the other goes out,the other one comes in? So they dont get mounted to much. and do that for 10 weeks until my girls are ready?

6. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    Another thing. both of the rooster are new to the flock. I got them both 1-2 weeks ago at a swap.

7. justafewchickens

justafewchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Just realize the hens might have him at the low end of the pecking order. When I introduced an unsure rooster my hens had him him hiding in a corner. Just something to consider also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by