2 roosters..one crows all day, one not at all. Why?

missflock

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2016
Kosciusko County, Indiana
We have 19 chickens. 2 of them are roosters. Both about 20 weeks old. One a Black Australorp the other a Rhode Island Red.
The Australorp is the dominant rooster and he crows ALLLLLL day. From sun up to sun down...and I wouldn' t be surprised a bit if he's in the coop crowing all night long.
The Red doesn't crow at all. No noise whatsoever. I've never heard a single peep out of the fella.

Why is this?
I'm not complaining at all! I actually love the fact that the Australorp crows so much. It's like music to my ears (but maybe that's because the only other thing I hear that often is 5 kids fighting! Ha!). He has a beautiful sounding cock-a-doodle-doo.... I guess I only expected to hear it around like 5am and 5pm or something.
And the fact that our Red doesn't crow at all makes me a little sad. I wanna hear something out of him! Maybe not as often as our Australorp.... because then our neighbors may get upset, and we don't need that.

Is this normal...having one that never stops and one that hasn't even tried?

This is pretty common among my roos too (especially the younger ones) and is probably because the RIR is "second in command." My former top roo, who died just a few weeks ago at the ripe old age of eight, kept every subordinate roo strictly in check. They wouldn't dare try to breed a hen if he was within sight. Feathers would fly if he caught them. They would rarely even crow around him. I've found that after a while of gaining confidence, they get a little braver. If your top roo isn't around your RIR at a particular moment, your RIR may very well sneak a crow in soon once he yucks up the courage. You could also try playing some Youtube videos of roosters crowing. I've gotten several of my "coming of age" boys to sing for their first time by doing this.
smile.png

Last edited:
We have 19 chickens. 2 of them are roosters. Both about 20 weeks old. One a Black Australorp the other a Rhode Island Red.
The Australorp is the dominant rooster and he crows ALLLLLL day. From sun up to sun down...and I wouldn' t be surprised a bit if he's in the coop crowing all night long.
The Red doesn't crow at all. No noise whatsoever. I've never heard a single peep out of the fella.

Why is this?......
The answer is elementary my dear Watson. The Australorp is challenging the whole world to come to his coop and taken him on with the understanding and hope that any unattached hens hearing his challenge will be willing to mate with him, while your RIR for the time being has decided that discretion is the better part of valor. Crowing is how roosters announce to unattached or unmarred hens that he is a fit specimen to father their chicks.

Ahhh, I had wondered if that could have anything to do with the fact that one of our neighbors has 15 hens and no roosters. We've had a couple of their hens come over to our property...one in which they had us keep because she would come right back as soon as they took her back home. Maybe our 17 hens aren't enough for him... I know he's experiencing puberty and has been quite frisky lately.

Last edited:
Removing the beta male will probably quiet the alpha down.
Glad, I don't live near you.....I would not want to hear that all day long.

Back
Top Bottom