1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 roosters, one new hen? big mistake?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bathsheba8542, Oct 19, 2009.

1. bathsheba8542

bathsheba8542 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Glenelg
    I banished two roosters to free range, with a nice toasty barn for them at night. A friend from the local shelter in DC had someone turn in a 'lost' hen. She is quite docile, very beautiful, and would have been put down if we didn't give her a home quickly. I can't put her with my hens for at least a 2 week incubation period (right?), and in the meantime, thought I would see if she'd like to free range with our 2 roosters. Anyone see a problem with this that I haven't foreseen? Are the two roosters (who have been raised together) likely to fight over one hen? I can find a hoome for one or both roosters, I think, but then would have to start teh 2 week period before this sweet hen moves into the coop.

Thoughts, comments?

2. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I wouldn't put her with any of my chickens until I knew there wasn't a problem with her health. If she is with the roos and then you give the roos away you might be passing along health problems from this girl. I would keep her isolated. I know it sounds cruel but better to have one lonely chicken than a flock of sick ones.

With the roos, they would start to fight over her and two roos 'over' one poor hen would/could be really hard on her.. I have one roo and twelve hens and one of my poor girls is completely bald right behind her comb, because the roo 'loves' her too much... I wouldn't want to have two roos giving all their attention to one gal...

3. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    If you put her out to free range with two roosters they will likely chase her clear off the property. She is back to homeless again.

Better to pen her by herself until you know if she is healthy or not.

4. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    By the way, the quarantine period is usually 4 weeks minimum (a month) or if you are really attached to your chickens that you already have, you might do 6 weeks and introduce ONE of your chickens to the new one for "the canary test" (if the canary dies in the coal mine, something's wrong with the air...).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by