*2 SEASON FEEDING??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by d.k, Feb 22, 2008.

1. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Heard some talk about corn being a 'hot' food & not using much in warmer temps-- Some days it's already like 8o here-- what's for HOT season feeding??

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Plain old layer pellets or crumbles and anything they can pick up in the yard and pasture. At least, that's what we feed in the summer. Fruits & veggies are good too, but mainly layer feed. The main thing is too have lots of water available. We put water in the coop and in two places outside.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Anything with a high carbohydrate load (like corn) will raise the body temperature of a bird as it's metabolized. I can't give you a list of everything which is high, low or neutral in carbohydrate... although you can probably find some charts.

4. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    according to Storey's guide oats minimize heat stress

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*know if anybody makes oat-based layer feed & where to find these charts?? Cuz this is just the beginning for us here!!

6. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    i believe the were saying whole oats as scratch. sorry

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    In hot weather feed them Layer feed and use black oil sunfloewr seeds (AKA BOSS) as a treat instead of scratch or cracked corn.

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*[​IMG] Thanks for the tips, folks! I thank you & the chicken thanks you, and all chicken folk in "The Land of Sweat & Drench" thank you!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  9. Luke74

Luke74 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Here is some information on the charts. This would be more orientated for the person that would mix their own but I think this is what you are looking for.

http://www.lionsgrip.com/protein.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by