2 sets of free range biddies... what to do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GAhen73, Jan 25, 2011.

1. GAhen73

GAhen73 New Egg

Jan 25, 2011
    Hi, I am new to chickens! I have 2 hens and 1 rooster. They free range all over the yard and barn. I have 1 hen, Big mama, that just hatched 1 little yellow ball of fuzz and my other hen, Sally, is expecting at least 2 by the weekend maybe. Big Mama has got her baby in the small fenced in garden shed yard (with the gates open). She seems to be doing fine in there. My other hen, Sally, will have hers proly by the weekend. She is setting in a spot not good for babies. She is in a vent hole by the house. When her babies hatch can I put them all in the garden shed yard together? It is quite spacy. Or do the 2 sets need to stay separate? By the way, Buster, the daddy, seems to be very attentive to the new baby. I wasn't sure what to expect. Any advice on my situation? I want to be ready for when the new babies come!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would put them all together. There's now way to be certain this will work, but the alternative is separating them for months. It's even more likely that things will work out if if the rooster is protective toward the chick.

3. GAhen73

GAhen73 New Egg

Jan 25, 2011
    Okay, it's worth a try right? I guess if things don't go well I can do something different. Does anybody else have any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by