2 setting hens -put together in private area?

kingsfarm

Songster
8 Years
Feb 25, 2011
Game hen eggs will hatch Sunday May 8 (10 eggs) Buff Orp. is setting on 10 eggs to hatch April 17......should I put the two together in a seperate place from other hens...won't be totally seperate just a see through plastic fence between them and 17 6 week old chicks....will the two hatches grow up together or will the mama's fight? help...Game and Buff Orp. two totally different temperments? would move them at night.... Or I have a totally seperate coop where Buff Orps. normally stay, would they allow the game and her chicks in this coop?

I'd seperate them in their own ereas. Just to risky. I have a hen that flogs any chick that is not her's.
Wouldn't want to put not only the hen, but the babies in danger.
smile.png

I would move them AFTER the chicks hatch, and at night time. It seems to lower the stress.

Good luck!

Last edited:
ScissorChick: Do you mean NOT to let her stay in with other BO hens - move her to a seperate space..... and definately do not let both broody hens in one single area...correct...each mama must have her OWN space....Thank you for your quick answer.....G

Crazy here but I had a Cochin sit faithfully
But when the babies hatched she freaked
Out ( I think it was her first hatch) any way
I have a game hen that just came right over
And took over like they were her babies
The whole time .. She had 4 buff orp & bared rock
Babies lol was kinda funny to see her try
to cover them lol..so maybe one of them
will end up with both sets !??? Idk nut good
luck with them

Thank you for the help....always good advice here and generous people-- we would surely be in a mess without y'all.....G

Back
Top Bottom