2 showgirls are roosters and 1 silkie hen

Cbeck0

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2021
Northern Virginia
All 3 were born in April. 1 rooster was being overly aggressive to the hen, pecking her head and aggressivly mating. In the past month it seems they have established their pecking order and the docile rooster has paired with the hen. The lone rooster still aggressively mates if he gets the chance. I’m planning to add 3 silkie hens that have been raised together and are now 2yrs old. Is this the right thing to do? That will make 4 hens and 2 Roos. How long do I quarantine the new birds until I add them?

Sep 13, 2021
Central Arkansas
That is too many roosters to hens. You should only have one roo. I would keep the docile one and eat, sell, or rehome the aggressive one. It is suggested to keep 10 hens to 1 rooster. Many people do not have that room so we keep 3 - 4 hens with a rooster. If you wanted to keep both roosters I would say you need 15 - 20+ hens.

JacinLarkwell

Crossing the Road
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
That few, it's unlikely to work out well. It will certainly be better for the female though once you add more girls.

I tend to keep less than 6 females per male (usually between 1 and 3) (my mixed flock is actually 3 males and 12 females including pullets not laying yet), but they all have an older, completely dominant male that actually puts the others in their plaxe, and they have far more room than most people have when they free range so the underlings can get away from trouble

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
It is suggested to keep 10 hens to 1 rooster.
That's just for fertility, not necessarily harmony.

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

ChickenLeg

Crowing
9 Years
Feb 15, 2012
That will probably help! He might still have sore eyes for that one girl too. If he isnt harming her I wouldnt stress too much! I keep new chickens away from my flock for 1 month, I deworm them, treat for lice/mites, and coccidiosis when I bring them in. I make sure my other chickens cant get anywhere near them, and I always tske care of my personal flock first before I tend to the new birds. Incase the new birds have a disease this way it wont spread to my flock. Cheers 🤟

Top Bottom